help with this noise?

[email protected] 21:35 16 May 2007

hi, can anyone help me find out what makes the following sound, i just cant find it, it's more a low hum type of sound and it's the last noise to start after i turn my pc on, the vibration seems to the front of the case im thinking possibly hard drive, i have to and they just sort of rest in place.
when i turn the pc on the hard drives click, fans start up then this very low mmmmm starts up, i think it's always been there but my problem is the case rests on a metal cage under my desk, its annoying me!
various upgraded noisy bits:
ocz gamextreem 700w
akasa evo 120 am2
akasa 60 exhaust fan
nexus 90 case fan
8800gtx bog standard hsf
80 gb hitach deskstar
120 ""
tia adam
as i say it's the last thing that powers up.

Stuartli 21:39 16 May 2007

Try resting the computer case on a piece of carpet placed on top of the metal cage.

If the noise persists it could be one of the fans' housing being slightly loose or a fan blade/blades touching its housing.

I am Spartacus 21:46 16 May 2007

I'm getting a similar sort of sound at the moment. Mine's caused by the PSU sitting flush against the top of the case. If I push down a bit over where the PSU is then it stops. I'm still working out how to fix that.

Technotiger 21:49 16 May 2007

Hi, if your hard drives are just 'resting in place' you could probably eliminate the noise by fixing the drives with screws.

[email protected] 21:59 16 May 2007

cheers guys, the psu has a big rubber washer to stop any contact with the case, pc is on a teatowel:), and the screws are in the hard drives but they just slot in and a nasty plastic clip sort of holds them in place, i can move them about 5 mm in any direction and i added the 160 gb hdd, which is longer than the 80gb.
is it ok to wedge them in?
i am sparticus, you can get these rubber rings from most pc supply shops and they come with a lot of bigger ones.
i have a pc in a thermeltake case and its very quiet but they cpu idles at 49c and the sli idle @ 74c and 91c without clocking, im letting a mate have it, i dont think it will last too long!
so i have got mine cool, im happy with the spec and temps i just wish i could get it quiet,
so should i wedge the hdds in you think?

Technotiger 22:06 16 May 2007

Yes, I would say it is ok to wedge the drives, anything to stop them vibrating, which does not do them any good at all, apart from the noise annoyance.

[email protected] 22:40 16 May 2007

i'll try that then, they dont rattle, it just seems a cheap case, mind you it had onboard graphics and a super quiet asus hsf when i bought it, sadly the hsf wasnt quiet up to the dualcore, failing that i suppose i may try a new case, they're all just to big for my desk though!
thanks for the replies.

laurie53 08:53 17 May 2007

I had this problem, definitely hard drive mounting in my csae.

Try using fibre/rubber washers under the mounting screws, ideally both under the screw and between the HD and the mounting.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but, boy, it gets on your nerves after a while!

[email protected] 10:18 17 May 2007

thanks laurie53 off to the shop now, i have checked all the fans must be ther drives

[email protected] 11:34 17 May 2007

can anyone tell me i need to drop an earthing wire on my hard drives if i do the above?
thanks adam

Technotiger 12:27 17 May 2007

No earthing wire needed - the hard drive is earthed via the cable to the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017