HELP -- No Sound with AC97 Audio

mas61 18:30 14 Oct 2006

I have lost the sound from my PC - I know the speakers are working fine and are connected to the PC fine, because I can still get clicks and beeps etc but no music. Have had a look in Device manager, but it says everything is working properly. All boxes are greyed out in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties in the Control Panel. Windows Media player gives the following error message:
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."
I have installed the latest drivers fomr Realtek's website, but with no effect. The only temporary solution I have found is to install the latest driver, restart and then roll it back!!!, although sound will be lost again if you turn the computer off!!

Any help with this would be most useful.

rdave13 18:59 14 Oct 2006

Have you tried installing the original driver from your mobo driver disk?

Technotiger 19:24 14 Oct 2006

Hi, have you ckecked that AC97 audio has not been disabled in the BIOS?

Cheers.

Technotiger 19:24 14 Oct 2006

Terrible spelling - ho hum .....

Stuartli 19:51 14 Oct 2006

Also check from Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>General tab that the output hasn't been Muted, you have the correct speakers configuration and that all the other tabs are correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?