HELP! ...........No re-start button!

realist 21:48 24 Mar 2006

OK no doubt this is a silly question but my old W98 pc had two buttons one to turn it on and another to re-start it if it locked up or whatever.
So how would I restart my new pc (has only one button) apart from powering down? I tried pressing the start button again but that has no effect.

Cheers and thanks for all recent help received here.

octal 21:51 24 Mar 2006

It should switch off when you sign off 98, because its a software switch. Try pushing the button for a few seconds and see if that switches it off.

octal 21:53 24 Mar 2006

Sorry, I just noticed its the new PC, same thing try pushing the button for several seconds.

realist 21:54 24 Mar 2006

OK cheers octal. The new pc is XP, does that make a difference?

realist 21:54 24 Mar 2006

Cheers again

octal 22:01 24 Mar 2006

I've just tried that with mine and it powers off, its only got one button as well. I don't use XP but I expect there is a cute way of doing it, trouble is I've never had to do a restart as such on my system.

VoG II 22:05 24 Mar 2006

Do you mean that if you click Start, Turn Off Computer, your options are limited? If so, what are they?

realist 22:24 24 Mar 2006

My new Evesham XP pc hung on "saving settings"....

VoG II 22:26 24 Mar 2006
  realist 22:39 24 Mar 2006

Many thanks VOG I bookmarked it for future reference, I think my problem was maybe caused by AOL not shutting down properly.

FatboySlim71 22:58 24 Mar 2006

Yeah I have occasionally had the same problem and I believed AOL was the culprit, as sometimes as well I noticed a little window appear saying "End program" and it was either the AOL program/files that was shown in the end program window.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017