help a newbie to broadband

airportlive 12:00 29 Apr 2008

Can sum1 please help ,
i've recantly bought a new laptop, and ordered tiscali broadband, and while not looking to encourage any sour grapes abt tiscali, i'm just looking to get info about broadband.
they say they well send out my wireless router
how does one go about setting this up,
does it plug into the laptop or the phone socket.
i already have the modem from my sky box (i presume that is for the intervactive stuff?) and my phone wire, so that is two things already gonig in2 the phone socket. can a third fit
can u get 3 pronged filter?
or am i going about this all the wrong way?
please any advice!

Forum Editor 18:12 29 Apr 2008

by mentioning "the modem from my sky box"

What's that for? Are you saying that you already have a SKY broadband router?

airportlive 07:53 30 Apr 2008

no, as far as im aware every sky box has these they come out the back of the sky box and into the phone plue, its not sky broadband

tullie 22:04 30 Apr 2008

Forget the sky box,its got nothing to do with it.

tullie 22:06 30 Apr 2008

Forget the sky box,its got nothing to do with it.You will get instructions when you get your router.

elisa23 14:21 01 May 2008

Hi Can you please help me. I am using dial up and obviously need to change to using the up the date technology but am finding this so confusing that I do not know which way to turn. We have a desktop PC and 2 lap tops in the house. Could someone please advise me on the best and cheapest way to update to possibly adsl and also a wireless modem for the laptop that I would be working. Also how does VOIP work with this. I am really not technical minded at all and am becoming so confusing. I do not know the questions to ask and or the equipement I need to use. If someone could help and explain in simple terms it would be great and I would really appreciate the help. thank you

tullie 15:56 01 May 2008

You would be better starting your own thread not hijack this one elisa.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?