Help the newbie!

SpoonedCi 14:31 26 Jan 2005

Hi. I'm using the pc advisor guide in last months issue in building my computer and after connecting my power cables and panel controls, i installed the graphics card. I was suppose to test it now (step 5) by connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse which I did. The internal fans are suppose to work but nothing happens...?!?! I was wondering if you good people could help. Thank YOU!

geeza 14:40 26 Jan 2005

Please dont take this the wrong way, but is it switched on at the mains?.
Is there power at the PSU (is the fan rotating)
Have you any lights at all on the motherboard/case?

SpoonedCi 14:48 26 Jan 2005

no fair questions...
yes it's switched on at the mains. the fan isn't rotating no. the led on the mobo works yeah it comes on. case? no because the connection is big with like 4 connections on it but 2 are missing...whilst I only need little ones like the powerswitch and reset switch connections

geeza 14:52 26 Jan 2005

It would seem that the PSU is not working correctly if the fan on it is not running. Would suggest that you recheck all connections first, then maybe remove the graphics card and see what happens.

Is this your first attempt at building a PC?

SpoonedCi 14:59 26 Jan 2005

it is my first attempt yes. and it's probably gonna be the last one the way i'm going lol. remove the graphics card? why? I have checked the connections and there doesn't seem to be a problem. i mean
1. the atx connctor 20 pin
2. the atx 4 pin
3. power switch
4. reset switch
5. system warning speaker
6. power to graphics card

and that's it for the moment. maybe it is the power cos the fan on it doesn't even come on.

geeza 15:02 26 Jan 2005

I would take the Power Supply back to where you got it. If you remove it from the case and just plug it in the fan should spin up, if not its duff. The reason I said remove the graphics card is that it is possible to damage them when installing if you are too heavy handed or possibly not discharged any static from yourself...did you use an anti-static strap?

^wave^ 15:04 26 Jan 2005

just a quick one some power supplies have 2 switches one at the back and one at the front

SpoonedCi 15:05 26 Jan 2005

anti static wristwrap yes.so if i plug the psu just by itself, it's suppose to work right? i mean the fan will work...if not then dud? i've got the tagan 480 as well...

SpoonedCi 15:08 26 Jan 2005

my psu has a switch on the back yes.that's how i switch it on.

ACOLYTE 15:14 26 Jan 2005

Have you checked the fuse in the plug? it may sound daft but you never know.

ACOLYTE 15:16 26 Jan 2005

Also if the mobo is lit it may be that the connector from psu to mobo is not connected right or not fully seated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?