Help - new to wireless... modem/ router trouble

dogs74 18:17 02 Jan 2006

Hi there, Im hoping someone can help me out!

We have broadband on our desktop pc using the speedtouch 330 modem. My cousin has recently bought a wireless router which he doesn't now need and we'd like to set it up here... However, it's a "wireless ADSL MODEM router" which I suspect means it's no use to us in terms of using it with the speedtouch modem/ broadband connection.

Am i right?? Or is there some way of using it to set up a wireless internet connection??

It's a Buffalo g54, by the way.

Cheers!!

dogs74 21:37 02 Jan 2006

can anyone help me at all please?! don't know my way around this stuff...

hargranules 21:52 02 Jan 2006

The modem router does the same job as your speedtouch but with the added benefit of being able to go wireless. Click here click here

dogs74 01:52 03 Jan 2006

so is the samll speedtouch box a simple modem?

i tried to bypass it with the other but couldn't get anywhere. the pc just kept getting telling me there was no dial tone etc... i couldn't even get the pc to recognise there was a modem attached to it... any ideas?!

dogs74 01:52 03 Jan 2006

so is the samll speedtouch box a simple modem?

i tried to bypass it with the other but couldn't get anywhere. the pc just kept getting telling me there was no dial tone etc... i couldn't even get the pc to recognise there was a modem attached to it... any ideas?!

mgmcc 09:27 03 Jan 2006

When you use a combined "Router & ADSL Modem", it is the *ROUTER*, not a PC connected to it, which has to establish the connection with the ISP. It replaces the USB modem you have been using.

You therefore need to configure the router with your ISP settings so that it can automatically dial up to the ISP and get online. Once the router is online, any computers connected to the it automatically have internet access over the LAN as soon as they are booted. Routers are configured by entering their IP address into a web browser and my Buffalo's address is 192.168.11.1 (although mine is a Cable router, not ADSL, so I cannot give you the specifics for setting up an ADSL connection).

dogs74 13:31 03 Jan 2006

ok, thanks to both of you! I'd got the impression that because we used 'speedtouch' we had to use their own box. doh

so, now all i need to do is get the log-in/ ISP details and get the router to 'speak' to the PC so I can look to put the details in.

cheers - I'll try and give it a go!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?