Help - Is new monitor causing headaches?

jediknight007 00:00 06 Feb 2003

Hi, I recently received my new Relisys TF770 17inch flatscreen monitor and then for the last 2 days, I have been unwell which started at first with a really terrible headache when I woke up the next morning. I sat in front of my monitor for about 2 hours I think whilst also watching the TV right near me at times whilst I was downloading or defragging my new hard drive. I got off eventually at Monday midnight and woke up the next day at around 7:20am.

Previously, I had a normal Time 17inch monitor and I guess that not having been used to sitting in front of a flatscreen monitor before could have made me a bit unwell. Could a high brightness setting on the monitor also give me a headache since I did at once turn it all up to 100% like I used to do with my old monitor.

I also found out that the plastic that was used for the casing of this monitor is kinda cheap and that with some force, you can bend it in a bit. I know that PCA reviewed some PCs about a year back with this monitor bundled with it and I would like to know whether the reviewers noticed this? Is this normal to reduce costs by choosing a less stronger plastic for monitor cases? Could this also mean that more radiation will be emitted from the monitor and will this mean that I should get one of those radiation filter things for my monitor? I would be very grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.

DieSse 00:05 06 Feb 2003

Try changing the refresh rate - to at least 85Hz. I use one of these monitors, and have no problems at all - in fact for a budget monitor I think it's excellent.

Why would you need a radiation filter - against what sort of radiation? - it's TCO99 certified.

jediknight007 18:26 06 Feb 2003

How do I change the refresh rate? Do I do that through the monitor settings or through Display Properties?

exodus 18:34 06 Feb 2003

You are correct, it will be in display properties probably under settings. 75hz is usually the minimum, poorer quality monitors may give a slightly blurred image if used at too high a setting.
If you are unwell, then staring at a monitor is not likely to make you feel better.

jediknight007 18:48 06 Feb 2003

Well, it's on 60 Hertz at the moment and the option 'Hide modes that this monitor...' is greyed out. The maximum I can select is 85 Hertz. If I select this, my monitor will still work though won't it? I guess I should go and download the latest Detonator drivers first since I only just started all over again.

Rayuk 19:12 06 Feb 2003

Set it to 85 you will notice the difference.

DieSse 19:41 06 Feb 2003

I'm running mine at 1024x768 with 32bit colour at 85Hz - This is just right for this monitor.

Philip2 19:56 06 Feb 2003

I have a Relisys Monitor i run it at 75HZ it also works as has been said at 85HZ why are you running it at default 60HZ setting it makes the screen flicker i could not work with it set at default.

robbins2074 20:39 06 Feb 2003

No wonder you are getting headaches if your running it at 60hz refresh rate.

David

ellas 22:57 06 Feb 2003

you must have a user manual with it,that will tell you the settings you can use.

woodchip 23:02 06 Feb 2003

do not put it above 75Mz at 800x600 it's a cheap monitor and it will burn out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?