Help, New gaming Pc advice

robbo1987 17:51 06 Sep 2009

Hi, I need some help/info about a new gaming pc. Its going to be mainly used for flight sim so i think ill need something different, im looking to spend between £400-£800. Ive seen a few that i like the look off but was wondering if having an sli/crossfire x setup is worth the extra cash or is there not that much difference anyway?

ive seen this which i like the look off
click here

but how would that compare to say a lower priced gaming pc with just one graphics card?

i was thinking about doing a self build aswell but it seems like it wouldnt cost much extra just buying a pre built machine.

Thanks
Martin

OTT_Buzzard 18:07 06 Sep 2009

Having not played a flight sim for a while I can't say for sure if sli or xfire are really needed. However, some of the most graphics intensive FPS games around don't *need* dual graphics to use (very) high settings.

You're right on the cost of difference on pre-built. Just be aware that overclocking (if that's your thing) and some of the finer BIOS controls are not available on most shop bought PC's.

OTT_Buzzard 18:17 06 Sep 2009

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz 12Mb Cache, Manufacturer Supplied Cooler,
4GB Corsair Memory DDR3 1333 (2 x 2gb),
500GB SATA Hard Drive,
AM3 MSI 770-C45 - DDR3 1600x4 770-C45 chipset,
2 x ATI 4890 1024MB PCI Express DDR DVI,
2036 Black Silver Midi Case Prescott
850W High Efficiency Black PSU,
DVD+/- RW - 20X Samsung Lightscribe,

For £10 more than the Dino PC computer you linked to, the above one is from Cougar Extreme.

Main advantages of this one: Known high rated PSU (vital for crossfire graphics!), way better processor, miles better graphics cards (imo!).

Note: the RAM is 1333MHz, not 1600MHz as with the Dino PC one. Don't worry about it. The performance difference is virtually nothing, but you can upgrade for about £6.

click here to have a look.

Before you order have give them a call. They've obviously done some work on the website, and seem to have spec'd an AMD motherboard for an Intel processor!

robbo1987 18:34 06 Sep 2009

great thanks for that, that looks like a pretty decent one looking at it. also is I7 worth looking into or will the quad core do just as good a job?

OTT_Buzzard 20:35 06 Sep 2009

Personally, i tend to prophesise in favour of the Core i7, however, it's really up to you. Have a read of this click here

But for every article you find in favour of the i7, you'll find one against. I'm not sure that there's much in it tbh. The biggest plus point for me is that you can cram in 6GB triple channel ddr3 RAM on the i7.

citadel 22:49 06 Sep 2009

i5 soon, good reviews, works on p55 board also out soon.

GaT7 23:17 06 Sep 2009

On the flip side of the C-E system is their cheap & nasty case & PSU compared to the D-PC ones for the same money. There's ~£110 difference in value between the two. Don't skinch on the PSU - & I don't mean the wattage, but the quality.

I'd go for the older gen CPU as the newer stuff is still too expensive IMO. Games are more GPU-driven anyway, so go for the best graphics you can afford.

"Main advantages of this one: Known high rated PSU (vital for crossfire graphics!)," - you meant 'unknown', didn't you OTT_B? The lower-rated Thermaltake 750W PSU will be much better. G

OTT_Buzzard 00:13 07 Sep 2009

The PSU is Powercool, 80+ certified. Didn't realise that the brand didn't appear in the pasted description.

Not the most famous or well regarded of brands, but very good performers....imo. I've certainly never had a problem with them anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?