Help with New Computer.

Comnennus 03:54 18 Aug 2007

I am looking to buy a new computer soon however I'm not sure what I should be looking for with regards to spec.

I'm looking to use the PC mainly for gaming as well as basic office type functions. I mainly play a mixture of MMORPGs, strategy and puzzle type games which thankfully aren't too I have between £400 and £600 (600 being the maximum i can go) to spend. I also have an old monitor etc that would be adequate if necessary. Any advice on what to go for spec-wise and what are in my range (with regards to processor and graphics card) would be welcome.

Thanks a lot for your time and attention of yours.

Diemmess 13:45 18 Aug 2007

...... at the top of this page and you will find 100 posts.

Not all are relevant, but many are.

From your interests I would say a modest to midrange spec bought as a ready built box is all you need.

The top of the range products are for those with no spending limits, who must_have one because it is the most expensive and elaborate.

Nearly all the current sales are of high specification. The cost difference being extra RAM, high performance graphics cards and fancy CPUs which are often capable of more than current software can use.

Within your price you could go for 2Gb RAM and even a decent TFT monitor as well.
Don't forget the OS which is often available as an extra in case you already have one to install.

Two online suppliers which have own build offers and a good support reputation, are Novatech and Dell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?