HELP network cable unplugged

COLIN-234466 19:04 31 Dec 2007

Hi and thanks in advance .Down on the right hand side beside the clock i got a pic of 2 computers with a red x through them please how do iturn them back on as want to use a router instead of a usb modem .it is nvidia networking controler local area conection 3 is there any chance it could be the ethernet cables conecting between router and pc

antony492 19:13 31 Dec 2007

Hi there. Happy New Year!
ok. Go to start, Control Panal.
Then click "Network and Internet Connections"
Then under "or Pick a Control Panel icon", click
"Network Connections"
Now you should have a screen with all you devices. All you have to do is Right-click each one and select Enable.
Problem Solved
Hope it works, let me know if it dont.

The Doctor

antony492 19:15 31 Dec 2007

Hi there. Happy New Year!
ok. Go to start, Control Panal.
Then click "Network and Internet Connections"
Then under "or Pick a Control Panel icon", click
"Network Connections"
Now you should have a screen with all you devices. All you have to do is Right-click each one and select Enable.
Problem Solved
Hope it works, let me know if it dont.

The Doctor

Graham. 19:25 31 Dec 2007

The icon is showing because you have disabled the connection. Find Network... in control panel and delete it. The router will have its own icon.

COLIN-234466 19:30 31 Dec 2007

thanks antony492 already tried that been mucking about with it for most of the day now and still no further forward still keeps saying an network cable is unplugged thats why i keep thinking it the cable many thanks by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR !

DieSse 19:30 31 Dec 2007

"Network cable unplugged" message normally means exactly that.

It would normally refer to the cable between the PC and the router.

So

Check the cable is plugged in securely at each end

Try another cable

Try resetting the router - unplug from the mains, wait a couple of minutes, then plug back in.

Is the light by the network connection on the PC on - what colour is it.

Check in Device Manager that the ethernet port is working correctly.

COLIN-234466 19:33 31 Dec 2007

THANKS graham but the network is enabled

COLIN-234466 19:36 31 Dec 2007

DieSse this is the second cable aint got no more to shops open on thursday thanks !

DieSse 19:39 31 Dec 2007

Is the light on the router associated with the socket you have the cable in, lit?

COLIN-234466 19:48 31 Dec 2007

all the lights come on at startup then the power ligt stays on and the DSL light goes to green then red and back to green and keeps doing this to i power of router no lights come on when i plug in ethernet cable on any of the 4 ports . thanks

DieSse 19:52 31 Dec 2007

If the light associated with the actual cable doesn't come on when you plug it in, then the system is clearly also thinking it isn't there - hence the message.

How about the LED next to the cable exit on the system?

Perhaps the LAN port/card isn't working - what does Device Manager say?

Are you using the right cable - sometimes you get two cables and they are for different purposes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?