Help Network Cable Unplugged

Smacko 22:27 08 Jan 2006

I have D-Link Router which I plug in to my Desktop PC and I can access the Internet, also have a Dell Lapotop which I can plug the network cable from my router into and access the Internet.

When I tried to plug the network cable from my router into a Advent 7082 Laptop and all I get is network unplugged ?

I have taken it back to PC World and they plug there network cable in and everything is ok ?

Has anyone got ay idea's ?

mgmcc 23:06 08 Jan 2006

Are you connecting the Advent laptop with one of the cables from either the Desktop PC or the Dell laptop or are you using a different cable? If you happened to be using a "crossover" cable instead of a straight-wired cable, you would get the "Network Cable Unplugged" indication.

Some routers have a LAN port that can be toggled between a standard LAN port for PC connection and an "uplink" port for connection to additional network hubs/switches. There is usually a button to press to change the setting. The effect of changing this setting is identical to swapping betwen "crossover" and "straight" cables and if you happened to use this port wrongly set, you would also get the "Network Cable Unplugged" indication.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?