Help with Netgear DG834GT and set-up etc

Giggle n' Bits 21:59 09 Mar 2006

ok, I have Wandoo Broadband, and 2 Win XP Home pcs at present maybe expanding to 3 WinXP Home pcs in a few months. I have been recomended from click here as there local to me the Netgear DG834GT modem Router.

Can someone tell me which PCI Wireless cards from the above link for wireless conectivity I need to get to fit in the other machine to link the Netgear on the Wirless system.

Also if I got and get another 3rd machine will another card of the same type do the job ?

ade.h 22:52 09 Mar 2006

Are you sure that you really need a boosted 108Mbit router? Would the standard 54Mbit 834G be sufficient? It would be a bigger a waste of money if it was not bought with a corresponding boosted wireless adapter.

Giggle n' Bits 23:17 09 Mar 2006

I saw another posting and he/she was recomended the 834GT model because of the 108mbit thing.

Suppose I should ask what is the 54Mbit & 108Mbit difference. Totally lost I thought a bigger number would be better. I do however need good firewall built in becase its for my Home business use also.

Are you saying then the 834g model is just as good.

Thanks for your call and help on my puzzle.

Giggle n' Bits 12:07 10 Mar 2006

I was looking at the Netgear 834GT which I saw recomended because of the 108Mbit and I would like to have another machine, possibly two on the wireless connection.

I am lead to belive that if I get x2 54Mbit wireless cards these are backward compatible with the 108Mbit.

If i am right so far please can some kind person point me towards the correct item at click here.

ade.h 12:40 10 Mar 2006

"I am lead to belive that if I get x2 54Mbit wireless cards these are backward compatible with the 108Mbit."

Who told you that?

In order to achieve a theoretical maximum of 108Mb, all client devices have to be equipped with compatible adapters from the same manufacturer. This will continue to be the case for a long time yet until a) 802.11n becomes ratified and b) it becomes common. An 802.11g card will run at a theoretical maximum of 54Mb regardless of what equipment it is used with. As it is a radio signal, it makes no odds how many client devices are on the network; the available bandwidth is affected by other influences only.

Unless you intend to stream video, you should really not waste your money on a boosted system. Belkin MIMO Pre-n is the only exception to that, as it does provide an improvement in signal strength/quality and not solely speed.

Giggle n' Bits 23:18 10 Mar 2006

it was "Phono" who said it would be fully backward compatible click here

In the above post they were talking about a Laptop with a BT Broadband.

Ok, so I understand the Netgear 834G using 54Mbit would be suitable. I only need it for Internet access as its a business machine ok, some file downloading but nothing like Music donwloads just the usuall Pdf docs, Zip files which arn't massive.

Now I have established I need the Netgear 834G Model which PCI Wireless card would be a suitable match please ?

I live near click here & click here I may also consider ebuyer.com

ade.h, could you point me to the most suitable PCI card Please.

Thanks for your help !.

ade.h 23:34 10 Mar 2006

I can't recommend any PCI cards specifically; I don't need to use them, as I keep my desktop cabled. While helping other folk with wifi, I have handled a only one or two PCI cards and I can't remember what brand they were. They had already bought them themselves.

To give an idea of what 802.11g can handle easily; I often stream music across the wifi part of my network and I use WMA variable bit rate (about 250-350kbps) and sometimes WMA Lossless (about 500-700, with a max of 940kbps). The VBR files stream perfectly, while the Lossless files can sometimes stutter a little bit if the bit rate is a bit too high.

Giggle n' Bits 00:19 11 Mar 2006

what I should have asked is what I should look for in a PCI card, is it the case of if its a PCI Wireless 54Mbit would this do the job ?

Recomendation problem I understand and would not hold anyone here responsible.

Looking at the click here site the Netgear if I went for the 108 there is a matching PCI card and if I went for the non GT model again there is a 54Mbit matching model.

so if I was going the 54Mbit route, can someone tell me I am right in thinking the Netgear 834G (54Mbit) would be a perfect match with the Netgear WG311 54Mb Wireless PCI Card. Have I got the gist of things ?

ade.h 13:19 11 Mar 2006

Yep; in a nutshell.

If you have a standard 802.11g router, then any standard 11g adapter/receiver should work, barring any quality issues or network gremlins.

If you have a proprietary boosted router, an 11g receiver is still just an 11g receiver, but may have slightly less chance of working properly, it seems.

To make use of a boosted system, it needs the right receiver.

Until 802.11n actually appears on the market, there can be more lost than gained by investing in one of the different alternatives.

Giggle n' Bits 15:15 11 Mar 2006

You have totally confused me.

ade.h 16:02 11 Mar 2006

I will happily expalin in more detail any aspects that you are unsure about; just tell me what.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone