HELP NEEDED TO START UP WINDOWS XP - PLEASE

barry crys 16:17 31 Dec 2009

Last night whilst trying to view free football online, after clicking on a link, my lap top went really slow then the whole screen was taken up with a window that said the Windows had detected 3 viruses - I did not trust this as my machine is 'fully protected' by mcafee - so I tried to shut it down. It would not so I 'forced' it to shut down. Now when I start it up I just get a message that says 'windows did not start up sucessfully' and offers me the option to open up at the last sucessful setting, safe mode etc. I have tried each of these and it just goes back to this screen each time... over and over again until I force it off. Can anyone help please???

jimv7 16:27 31 Dec 2009

I always knew football was bad for you.....

Try tapping F8 as the puter starts, choose safe mode, then try a restore from within safe mode.

barry crys 16:36 31 Dec 2009

yeah, I should pay for Sky!!

tried tapping F8, got to where it asks for the operating system to start, enter that (XP) which just takes me to the screen that I described in the original post that does not seem to have a restore option.

I have also tapped F8 for more options which does not have a restore option. It does have a debugging mode - should I try this?

Thanks for your help

jimv7 16:44 31 Dec 2009

If you have the windows disk, boot from it and try a repair.

Technotiger 16:46 31 Dec 2009

It would seem that you have nothing to lose by trying the debugging mode.

Just because you have Mcafee does not necessarily mean you are fully protected! You probably do have all sorts of nasties on board. I would advise you to download, update and run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware. You may need to do this is Safe Mode with Networking!

rdave13 16:51 31 Dec 2009

Getting to windows safe mode; click here
I'd select safe mode without internet connection and run your McAfee security program from there.
Reboot and if windows loads ok then download and update Malwarebytes and run full scan.

Technotiger 16:52 31 Dec 2009

Hi, I suggested Safe mode with networking, so that MWB and SAS could be download and updated while in Safe Mode.

rdave13 17:04 31 Dec 2009

Yes I know. Could be a good idea but I don't know if the virus is using the internet connection. Just a thought.

barry crys 17:13 31 Dec 2009

the only disk I could find is a Windows 7 disk, I tried booting with this and repairing but it is saying it cannot repair this computer automatically. Do I really need an XP disk? or is there another way?

Thanks again

Technotiger 17:13 31 Dec 2009

As far as I am aware, Safe Mode with Networking blocks virus etc.

Technotiger 17:17 31 Dec 2009

You would need the disk in order to effect a Repair, though this would not necessarily remove a nasty - I strongly advise you to follow my Response at 16:46 above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?