Help needed - Reinstalling Win XP

treeleaf61 16:12 05 Dec 2006

I have a Compaq Evo N410c laptop that had been running Windows XP. The registry was corrupted and I could not restore so I formatted the hard drive.
I have an XP install CD. The laptop has as external USB drive. I changed the boot sequence to boot from the USB drive. But I still get the message
OS not installed
Insert OS setup disk and press any key
and when I press any key I get the message
Non-System disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready

Thanks.

Technotiger 16:18 05 Dec 2006

Can you not re-install direct to the laptop's internal drive - I would also remove the external drive before re-installing XP direct to laptop.

Rigor mortis 16:30 05 Dec 2006

Try changing ALL of the boot options to the USB CDROM. Instead of CDROM, HDD, Floppy or any other combination of these, change all to CDROM.

treeleaf61 17:08 05 Dec 2006

The Evo does not have an internal CD drive only the USB drive. I cannot change the boot options only to the USB, I must give a sequence (1st, 2nd, etc.) or none at all which means the system will boot from the hard drive. I have tried every combination.

Technotiger 19:43 05 Dec 2006

According to this, it does have a Internal HD, 30Gb. Or am I missing something?

click here

Rigor mortis 23:18 05 Dec 2006

click here

You'll need six floppies.
This might give you access to the USB CDROM.

treeleaf61 00:54 06 Dec 2006

I think perhaps that the XP install disk is not bootable. How do I know and if so how can I fix it?

terryf 04:38 06 Dec 2006

Try it in another machine

Technotiger 07:37 06 Dec 2006

Hmmm, I still don't understand why you say your laptop does not have a internal hard-drive? That is where your OS should be installed, not to an External usb drive.

User-312386 07:48 06 Dec 2006

Can you please advise if the install disc has windows XP written on it or is it a "restore to factory settings" disc?

User-312386 08:19 06 Dec 2006

He has not said he does not have an internal HDD, he does not have an IDE CD-ROM drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?