help needed please

scott94 20:16 15 Sep 2008

hi guys, firstly im new to the forum so would like to say hello to everyone, hope everyone is well.

secondly, ive been experiencing a problem with my desktop which i bought from pc world in january of this year.
the problem is i turn on the pc and its fine, but within the first 15-20 minutes the pc will crash regardless of what im doing, i could be on a word document, a game, the internet, and it will crash. then i turn it off, then on again and its fine the rest of the time im on it could be an hour, could be all day. its always every other time it crashes, and usually within the first 15-20 minutes, but sometimes longer.

the spec of my pc is: processor: Intel core 2Duo E4500, 2.2 GHz, 2047 MB of RAM, and 32-bit operating system, and i use windows vista home premium.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what may be wrong with my pc it would be greatly appreciated!

kind regards

csqwared 20:23 15 Sep 2008

To be honest, and this is probably not the answer you wanted, I'ld be back to PC World with it. You say you bought it January 2008 so it should still be under guarantee and they ought to be sorting it out for you.

scott94 20:26 15 Sep 2008

ive been back to them and they said to get in touch with the tech guys, and log a fault and they should send an engineer, ive phoned up every other day for the last two weeks,and the person on the phone said "the complaint has been logged we are currently waiting for an engineer to become available in your area" and said they would get back to me shortly, which they havent.

Technotiger 20:27 15 Sep 2008

Check your Power options in Control Panel - set everything to Always and Never!

Technotiger 20:28 15 Sep 2008

PS - Welcome to the best Forum on the Net ...

scott94 20:32 15 Sep 2008

thanks for the suggestion and welcome technotiger, when i go onto the power options, it asks me to select a power plan, and gives me the three choices of: balanced, powersaver, or high performance.
which one do you suggest?

Technotiger 20:41 15 Sep 2008

Assuming you are running Vista (I am running XP), so I would suggest High Performance, or if you want to go deeper into the settings, have a good look at this click here

Be aware I do not have, and have not used Vista.

scott94 20:49 15 Sep 2008

aah ok thanks for the suggestion, i will have a bigger read on it and try that

Technotiger 20:53 15 Sep 2008

Let us know how you get on.

DieSse 21:33 15 Sep 2008

And can you explain what actually happens when it "crashes" please.

Freezes - error messages (if so what) - or anything else.

scott94 22:45 15 Sep 2008

DieSse- there are no error messaes at all, i can hear the tower loading then all of a sudden, it stops making noises and crashes. i cant go to task manager or anything, it wont let me do nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?