Help needed with my system restore thats gone bad.

Bens Mom 00:01 06 Jan 2009

Hi,
After getting a new laptop recently, I thought what a nice idea it was to give my desktop to my younger sister as its a great allround pc,
So I have this DELL Dimension 3100 currently sitting on the side unable to use as Ive messed up the system restore - although followed the instructions as listed,
I his CTRL and F11 when the pc booted up and followed the instructions to restore it back to factory settings, It was almost done when a message came up to say it had been UNSUCCESSFUL and promptly startly to reboot. Only problem is now it once it goes past the forst screen it says
'Loading PBR for descriptor...Done.
A disk read error occured'
So now I dont know what to do, Cant get past the screen so Im stuck,
I have some disks that DELL sent me when I purchased the pc, but which do (if any) I need to use??
Any step by step help would be very helpful as I phoned DELL and I am 2 months out of the warranty and they want an extourshinate amount of money for there advice now...

MAJ 00:31 06 Jan 2009

It sounds like the image stored on the hidden partition has been corrupted. Luckily Dell supply disks so that you can restore manually. click here

MAJ 00:33 06 Jan 2009

..... those are the disks you mention in your post.

Bens Mom 00:36 06 Jan 2009

Thanks for answering, Im currently on my laptop as i cant access anything on the pc at the moment,
Which disc do I use?
Operating System??
Device Drivers??
Would you also know how to boot these up???

MAJ 00:39 06 Jan 2009

did you read the instructions at the link I posted?

Bens Mom 00:42 06 Jan 2009

Am going through them....

Bens Mom 00:53 06 Jan 2009

Looks like I am going to have to do the 3rd option - manually reinstallation - on there as it doesnt give me an option or even allow me to hit F8 and F11, it just seems to ignore these commands and go to the error message after you see the DELL symbol on the first page...

Wish me luck :)

MAJ 00:57 06 Jan 2009

Yess, the third option, Ben's Mom, just follow the steps one at a time and you should get there.

Bens Mom 01:04 06 Jan 2009

Maj, Thanks for all your help, Im following the instructions, putting the xp operating disc in, its still not taking it.. Im still left with just a black page and the Loading PBR message,
What am i doing wrong?

MAJ 01:09 06 Jan 2009

Put the CD in and restart the PC. On the startup screen it should prompt you to "hit any key to boot from CD", hit a key (spacebar for example) and the PC should boot from the XP CD. If you don't get the "hit any key to boot from CD" prompt, the PC might not be set to boot from CD, you'll have to go into the BIOS to set it to do so.

MAJ 01:09 06 Jan 2009

Put the CD in and restart the PC. On the startup screen it should prompt you to "hit any key to boot from CD", hit a key (spacebar for example) and the PC should boot from the XP CD. If you don't get the "hit any key to boot from CD" prompt, the PC might not be set to boot from CD, you'll have to go into the BIOS to set it to do so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?