Help needed to make decision about upgrade

edennorman 14:24 16 Aug 2005

Hello

I have posted a couple of ther threads involving this subject....each time I tried the suggestions made by those kind enough to respond.

So this is an ongoing saga and I need help to make a decision.

I have an old PC with Win 95 installed and want to upgarde the whole thing.

To that end I have new drives, mother board, processor etc.

Despite many attempts.....and please if anyone has any other suggestions regarding this particular problem....dont reply...I have exhausted so many possibilities.

I want to consider this aspect written in stone.....

The old cd rom is dead and Win 95 will not recognise the new cd rom.

So how am I going to go from here? Is their nothing I can do to get the new motherboard fitted and install Win 2000? Or do I have to think about getting a new PC?

Thank you.

eden

User-312386 14:44 16 Aug 2005

To be honest, by the time you have bought a new operating system, MOBO and CD-Rom you may as well by a new system.

In the past i have bought mine from Nethighstreet click here

You can use the dropdowns to build your own spec, or give them a ring and discuss options.

DieSse 14:50 16 Aug 2005

Is their nothing I can do to get the new motherboard fitted and install Win 2000?

Of course it should be possible - can you post links to your other threads so that I can at least read about what you've been trying.

There's only a few choices - soldier on and fix whatever problems you have - forget it all and buy a new base unit complete (and sell your other new stuff) - or take it all to a friendly shop/technician and get them to do it for you.

Stuartli 15:01 16 Aug 2005

These may give you a clue as to where you may be going wrong or not, perhaps, seeing the wood for the trees. See:

click here

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?