HELP NEEDED - Laptop Resale

del31212 19:00 09 Jun 2010

I have recently chosen to resell my HP pavilion dv900, and i wondered if i was to resell could people gain valuable bank and email account etc details? Even if i was to do a factory reset (f11 when loading)??

Thanks!

T I M B O 19:05 09 Jun 2010

To be totally honest, Yes. But it would take days and the right software, so make sure you don't sell it to me hahaha

T I M B O 19:07 09 Jun 2010

Just re-install windows & you will be fine.

northumbria61 22:52 09 Jun 2010

TIMBO - I think it would be easier for the person asking the query if you just gave a straightforward answer to what appears to me to be a simply query.

woodchip 23:11 09 Jun 2010

Back to Factory Settings wipes the Drive when it reinstalls from the restore disc, or backup set you created. But do look on the Drive after as I did it with My Laptop as it was a Demo model and it created a Folder with Stored Files from the old setup, this can be deleted

lotvic 23:29 09 Jun 2010

good point woodchip

del31212, after you have done the F11 go through the setup as if you had just got pc, regional settings and user name (not your name this time - call it admin1 or similar) etc
then have a look - explore the contents - to check if it has created a folder as per woodchip has said. Then you can be sure.

You will then also be confident that it all works okay for when you sell it.

del31212 23:57 09 Jun 2010

thanks for all your help, i did as you said and have deleted the folder. much appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017