Help needed with Internt connection sharing PLZ

Zion_Lion 14:38 19 Dec 2004

Hi all... got two XPro machines (my other halfs and her daughters). Now their only using the basic AOL broadband package and I Know that you cant have two accounts active at the same time with this package.

So I thought that I'd be able to setup a home network so her daughter could access the BB connection through her pc when the other one wasn't using it.

The problem that i'm having is that I've setup the network using the connection wizard so that the main pc allows other pc's on the network to connect through it and the other pc is setup to connect through the other. The firewall on main pc is set to allow all lan traffic and the other pc has no firewall as yet.

But when trying to setup AOL on the daughters pc I am told that it could not establish a connection???. I have gone through the network setup procces a few time now and not getting anywhere.
Any help on this will be brill thanks. Need to pop out now so will be back later.

Merry Christmas to you all
Regards ZL

johnnyrocker 14:45 19 Dec 2004
  ACOLYTE 14:50 19 Dec 2004

I think the main PC has to be connected before the client PC can connect,the way you have set it up.Also there is a tab if you open the network icon for the Internet connection in the advanced part you may need to tick the box to dial a connection when a computer on the network attempts to access the net,but again main PC has to be switched on.You could set up a wireless network that way other PC doesn't have to be left on,or install the modem and AOL settings on second PC and dial from there the account and settings would need to be same as the first PC the LAN should still work.

Zion_Lion 22:51 19 Dec 2004

Hi again... thanks for replies johnnyrocker, ACOLYTE.
Well I'm glad to say that all is sorted after getting hold of an AOL disc and installing onto client pc rather than trying to use the download from AOL site.
I thought the problem may have been that I was only using a switch/hub on the network as all I seem to see are the words you need to use a router when networking with AOL.
Ayway prob solved, thanks once again.
Regards ZL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone