Help Needed in Installing 2nd hard drive

Shellshock66 23:04 07 Feb 2006

I am experiencing problems installing a 2nd hard drive. My system is as follows
AMD sempron 2600 CPU
ASUS K8S-MX Motherboard
1GB DDR400 RAM
Western Digital SATA Drive 160GB (Drive C system)
DVD rewriter and CDRewriter On Primary IDE
1 Floppy Drive
Windows XP system
I have tried to install a Maxtor EIDE 80GB on the secondary IDE connector on boot up I get the following message
No IDE Master detected
Press F1 to resume
then asked to install system disc?
I have run the Maxtor Power Max Version 4.21 program via the floppy drive and the hard drive seems ok according to the program
Any Ideas

007al 00:08 08 Feb 2006

Are the hard drives set to master and slave,and have you checked boot sequence in BIOS?

Strawballs 00:21 08 Feb 2006

Connect the second drive on the same ribbon as the main drive doing as 007al said checking that the main drive is on the end of the ribbon and the jumper set to master and the other one on the second connecter and the jumper set to slave and these should be in the master IDE on the mainboard or if it is identified by numbers it should be the lowest number either 0 or 1

grumpy old git 13:31 09 Feb 2006

Maxtor have a very good help section, go to click here / Europe / English / knowledge base / product support.

Your hard drives should be on one cable and cd/dvd on the other, do not mix. The existing drive should be connected to the black connector and the new drive to the gray connector. Set the jumpers to cable select (cs) on both drives. Hope this is of some help to you, the Maxtor web site certainly helped me install a second hard drive on my computer.

rupie 00:14 11 Feb 2006

I noticed that 1 drive is SATA and the other is EIDE. the connectors are different and so a ribbon cable is not able to connect them both correctly. What does the bios look for first when it boots up? prehaps it looks for a IDE drive as de fault but finds a secondary; thus causing an error, before it goes on to boot the SATA drive ? Just guessing.......

007al 00:23 11 Feb 2006

rupie is probably right,thats why i asked if you`ve checked boot sequence

Shellshock66 20:41 11 Feb 2006

Thanks for the tips I have done the following
Installed the Maxtor Hard drive on the primary IDE connector set as Master. The CDRW as slave and DVD rewrtier as Master on the secondary IDE connector. On Boot up got in to BIOS and Set my Western Digital Drive as number one and the Maxtor as Number two. Having done this the system is working fine as I want it to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?