help needed to install sata hard drive

wobblymike 09:16 16 May 2006

I have raised this before but an now trying again

I have purchased one of these

click here

in order to use a sata hard drive that I bought by mistake. I connect it to the primary ide channel on my mobo, and connect up the cables. Boot up the PC nothing not resognised at all. I note that there is on the hard drive another bigger connector which I suspect is a data connector can someone confirm this and if so what cable do I need and where do I connect the end remote from the drive?

martjc 09:28 16 May 2006

...just take the drive back ad admit you made a mistake?
Those converters are a new invention and probably have some things to be ironed out!

Tabvla 09:37 16 May 2006

Can you please post the exact Make & Model of the drive. The model number should be the one provided by the manufacturer (e.g. Maxtor 6Y160M0 )

rmcqua 09:39 16 May 2006

is probably the power connector. This may seem a silly question but are you sure you are providing the HDD with the power it needs?

ed-0 09:42 16 May 2006

" I note that there is on the hard drive another bigger connector which I suspect is a data connector can someone confirm this "

have you the model number of the drive, as Tabvla mentions or a picture of the bigger connector?

wobblymike 12:47 16 May 2006

its a seagate 8T380013AS

ed-0 15:29 16 May 2006

Are these the connections you mean click here.

manual for the ST380013AS click here

ed-0 18:39 16 May 2006

The power connector should have 15 pins. The data connector should have 7 pins and the factory jumpers should be 4 pins.

It looks as if you plug the adaptor into a spare IDE ribbon connector. Connect the white power connector click here to the floppy style pins click here on the board. The other end to a spare power connector. Then just join the SATA cable at each end. It looks as if it powers the drive via the card. So the 15 pin on a the SATA hard drive is not used?

Just out of interest, have you any other drive connected to that IDE cable?

wobblymike 20:20 16 May 2006

ed-0 and gents

thanks for responding, ed-0 yes sir it appears that the 15 pin cable is the one i dont have your point above is interesting i have done exactly what you suggest but the drive is not seen i am at a loss can you help further

ed-0 20:40 16 May 2006

Sorry M8. Unless you have the exact code numbers for the SATA convertor or the manual, I can just guess.

The ebay item just comes with the standard ata to floppy power connector and the SATA cable. If the card does power the hard drive, I don't know which of the 7 pins would do this. As you probably know, a normal set up for a SATA drive would be the 7 pin data and the 15 pin power. So how can the new card utalise any of the 7 pins, for power, if they are usually in use? that was the guess work.

More guess's

You need a 4 pin ATA to 15 pin SATA power connector.? click here

The equipment you have is faulty?

Have you emailed the seller and enquired about the power settings?

wobblymike 20:51 16 May 2006

ed-0

thanks again i reckon your suggestion about an ata to sata power cable is well worth exploring so i have ordered one at 1.20 its worth a gamble
i'll post back the outcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?