Help needed - i have an audio driver problem

leohopkins 19:06 20 Apr 2008

I have a very old PC. apparently its an evesham (im not too sure what specific make it is though; i have tried various different programmes to find out) - basically im using Windows 2000 professional and I have a USB headset that I would like to use; ive plugged it in but cant get sound from it; i dont know if i need to install audio drivers for the onboard audio first? - if i do im having difficult finding out which audio driver i should install.

Please help.

Thanks !!

Diodorus Siculus 19:45 20 Apr 2008

It's the motherboard you need to ID. Will SIW do the job? click here

Stuartli 20:28 20 Apr 2008

Evesham is (or sadly was) a make. It was a well known computer systems builder on the lines of Mesh, Dell etc.

Information on USB drivers for W2K from:

click here

To find out if you have onboard sound or a sound card (not sure if this applies with W2K), go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Components>Sound Device; this will detail if you have onboard sound (AC 97) or a sound card.

Onboard sound is most likely to be provided through a Realtek or C-Media chipset. Drivers from Realtek at:

click here

click here (C-Media)

You may need to Enable onboard sound (AC 97) in the Bios.

Stuartli 20:29 20 Apr 2008

Obtaining the drivers for a sound card is in similar fashion i.e. from the manufacturer's website.

leohopkins 06:24 21 Apr 2008

Okay, I used SIW and i have found some more info about my motherboard; but am still a little stuck....

Manufacturer: eveshamvale

Chipset Vendor: VIA Technologies Inc

Chipset Model: VT8363/5 KT133/KM133 System Contoller

South Bridge: 82C686B PCI to ISA Bridge

Cpu Socket: Slot A / Socket A [SLOT 1]

Any ideas ?

Coffee Adict 07:23 21 Apr 2008

Looking at it from a different angle you may need drivers for the headset if they are usb 2.0, my old Evesham was only usb 1.0 but was usb 2.0 capable. It worked for me with a flash drive.
Also have you any speakers attached, if so they may be diverting sound to themselves at the expense of the usb port, if so unplug them.
I suspect that the usb port may need configuring in some way, which is way over my head and shall now bow out.

Stuartli 11:06 21 Apr 2008

Your motherboard information is not relevant in this case.

Return to SIW and go to>Hardware>Devices>Sounds, Video and Games Controllers.

Your sound device should be listed i.e. AC 97 or a sound card after you click on the plus sign by Devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?