Help needed on how to set up wireless n/work

JohnS 14:42 08 Jul 2003

I have just got broadband and need to set up a wireless router network at home. Many lan selling web site appears to have all the major suppliers but not one bit of info can I find on how to start setting up such a network. There are abbreviations galour, different wordings (router/bridge/hub/switch access points, 3 access points per AP, 32 something per something, a 3 in one, a 5 in 1 router ? 5 what??.

I need basic advise on where to start, what to look out for and what goes with what and how to plan for growth etc. I want 3 PC networked initially, one of which is Win 2000 laptop, one win XP and other may be a MAC.

Any ideas where to look please ? or are web sites just aimed at the techies?

Thanks

SEASHANTY 15:54 08 Jul 2003

On the search facility at the top of the helproom page. Type in Wireless and Networking. Select ALL DISCUSSIONS and then select "SEARCH TITLES AND ALL POSTINGS" . This will bring up a list of 61 titles on this subject which you can peruse at leisure and follow all the suggested links. Happy cruising.

JohnS 16:27 08 Jul 2003

Seashanty - thanks for advise but I prefer to go to one place to get the info - I not got time (or patience) to plough thro' 61 postings. cheers

JohnS

Sparks 17:52 08 Jul 2003

This may be of some help click here

Magik ®© 18:01 08 Jul 2003

if you are going wireless, then you will not need all the hubs, router, and cables, just a card for the laptop, and a usb network adapter for the desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires