Help needed on home network

geewis 21:25 26 Aug 2003

This thing is driving me to drink, I've been trying to set up a home network but their is a red x acros the two small screens in the systme tray and when I place my curser over it it says local area network,A network cable is unpluged, but I have replaced the cable with a new one but to no avail. I knew I was asking alot to conect a pc with XP to one running win98, both pc's using the same lan card ( realtek )can anybody help

Thanks Geewis

AndySD 21:31 26 Aug 2003

Its often caused by a driver problem with one of the cards. Start with the 98 PC and reinstall the drivers.

geewis 21:36 26 Aug 2003

That card installed ok its the card on the 8 month old pc, it came intsalled but I've never used it but it has allways been there in the sys tray with a cross over it.

Bertie B 21:38 26 Aug 2003

Work your way throught the first link below:-

click here

I have networked a new XP PC to my old Win 98se PC - quite a time back but had all sorts of troubles but now very reliable [should not have said that!!].

The trick is to set up networking on the XP machine first - this will then give the option to produce a setup disk for the 98 PC - with luck that will work - with luck!!

Another useful link is:-

click here

geewis 22:00 26 Aug 2003

allready tryed that andy twice.

BillEmm 22:10 26 Aug 2003

you are using a cross-over cable?

Grantrh 22:13 26 Aug 2003

Its possible the problem might be that the LAN connection is not enabled in Windows XP.

If you open up network connections (should be an icon on the desktop in XP) and see if your LAN connection is enabled, if it isn't right click on it and select enable.

Failing this I imagine you haven't got it installed properly.

geewis 22:19 26 Aug 2003

My lan is enabled if I disable then re-enable the red cross re apears ant the message a network cable is unpluged.

geewis 22:20 26 Aug 2003

yes bill been and bought a new one today.

jazzypop 23:06 26 Aug 2003

Most network cards have a small green LED that lights up when a properly-wired cable is properly connected.

Double-check that the cable is fully pushed into each card - there should be an audible 'click' as the small lug on the plug engages in the socket. I have had several instances when the cable feels as if it is fully pushed in, but the protective boot around the plug is just fouling enough on the back of the PC to prevent proper connection.

Assuming you have a properly-connected cable, check Device Manager on both PCs. Look under Network Adaptors for a card that appears twice (delete one 'instance of the card if this happens), or a card that is disabled.

AndySD 23:09 26 Aug 2003

Most companys have a diagnostic program for their cards click here and look for yours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?