Help needed with Home Netwok

Kominogie 13:33 29 Aug 2006

I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows XP and a D-Link DSL G604T router. Both PCs connect to the internet through the router.

I would like to network both computers so I can access all the folders and drives (if possible) of the desk top from the laptop and vice versa.

All help would be appreciated and please assume I have no knowledge of computer networking and how to set up a network, so very easy instructions would be appreciated.

ade.h 14:18 29 Aug 2006

Easy.

1) If your client firewalls are of the kind that create rules of their own, turn 'em off.
2) If they prompt you for rules when activity occurs, have both clients in the same room if at all possible; if not, have them attended by helpers.
3) If they need manual config, do so before you start.
4) Ideally, have an identical account full-permission admin account on each client; if it has a password, use the same one.
5) Create a share. Use any folder that does not have a parent folder that is privacy-enabled. Go to to the other client and browse for that share via My Network Places. Use MNP to create a shortcut to it.
6) Make sure at this point that the other client is manned or configured as per 1 to 3.
7) If you use Pro, consider disabling Simple File Sharing, which can be done on Pro clients even in a mixed OS network environment.

mgmcc 14:37 29 Aug 2006

As the two computers both have internet access via the router, then they are already networked. Set at least one folder in each PC as "shared" by right clicking it and selecting the Sharing & Security option.

If you have any firewall software running, it needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers. Tell us what software you use and we can probably tell you how to configure it.

See how you get on with that and come back with any problems.

BigMoFoT 11:26 30 Aug 2006

The computers are in the same workgroup and they are named easily enough to refer to. In the system properties under the computer name tab is where you set the workgroup and computer name.

loopyloo 12:41 31 Aug 2006

I have a desktop computer and laptop connected via a router. I did have my printers and files sharing but unfortunatly I had to re format my laptop and I don't remeber what I did to set up a network etc. Please can someone go through it. I have a workgroup name and have tried sharing the printer but on my laptop it doesn't pick up my desktop files/printer and vice versa
I have configured my firewall but something I am not doing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?