Help needed with DVD-ROM/DVD-RW problem

highborn 14:33 30 Apr 2005

This is my first post so please bear with me.

I just purchased a LITE-ON sohd-16p9s DVD-ROM drive which i was hoping to use in conjunction with my NEC ND-3520A DVD-RW drive, so leaving my NEC set to master and setting the LITE-ON to slave on the same IDE ribbon and all connections all correct i started up my pc to find that the LITE-ON wasn`t being detected at all, though it does have power.

When i tried the LITE-ON on its own with the NEC taken out it worked just fine and it was detected, i tried the NEC with another drive and all was fine. I can`t think of what to do next.

Has anybody got any ideas on this matter because it is really puzzling me.

Thanks in advance.

bretsky 15:33 30 Apr 2005

I would set your jumper settings to cable select on the two optical drives shown as CSEL or CS and then set your secondary IDE channel in the Bios to auto detect, when your reboot go into device manager to see if the drives are recognised.

This may help click here

bretsky ;0)

SEASHANTY 15:56 30 Apr 2005

As bretsky says will work OK. You will need a small pair of long-nose pliers or a pair of tweezers to remove the drives jumper pin from its MASTER setting. (Nearly all new drives are sent out with the jumper set to "master". This Toshiba illustration shows the jumper a bit larger - set to master. The pin settings are usually marked on the top of the drive casing. Your new drive will also work if set to "slave" which means changing the jumper onto the two middle pins of the six pins.
click here

highborn 20:32 30 Apr 2005

I tried what you suggested bretsky but unforunately it didn`t work. I have been looking around the net and i think the problem could be my IDE cable as it may not be able to handle the cable select method.

click here

click here

I think i will have to think about buying a new cable.

SEASHANTY 10:30 01 May 2005

How to install a front loading drive (with pictures) click here

This applies to all optical drives. CD-ROM, CD-RW
DVD-RW. Combis etcetera.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?