Help needed with computer and net

JellyWoman 06:31 20 Dec 2009

Hi,

I'm not sure where to start as I have no computer knowledge but lots of problems.
I had my first virus two weeks ago but was already having problems with IE7 crashing.
I ran malware and something called a "rogue installer" was detected and removed. Since then i've been virus free , apparently.
IE8 keeps crashing , FF keeps crashing and my pc keeps down so i'm not sure what the exact problem is. It seems to be in the early hours of the morning so I've been wondering if it is AOL but I can always use their browser when IE/FF crash.

IE won't remember my settings like text size anymore (it's why I changed to IE8 in the first place) and i'm not sure what to do.

The computer seems slow and about a month ago I couldn't even use the task bar as it wouldn't appear so I think my computer has something wrong with. I run Vista and the machine was bought in May 07.

Any ideas?!

michaelw 08:30 20 Dec 2009

What security have you got, ie firewall and antivirus?

I'd suggest doing an online av scan at Trend Micro
which is free and thorough and will remove any nasties click here

mrwoowoo 10:07 20 Dec 2009

Have you given your PC a de-dusting since you got it.If not, as it's 2 1/2 years old it could be clogged up with dust and over heating causing it to crash and show all sorts of unusual behaviour. I assume that's what you mean when you say it goes down.
Clean off dust from the vents on the case and the PSU fan on the rear of the case. Also dust inside using a small new small paint brush. Pay particular attention to the fans.
If you use compressed air ( obtainable from PC shops/super markets) keep upright and don't use too close to delicate conponents.
click here

JellyWoman 05:57 21 Dec 2009

I run PC tools and Avast? It's just crashed again meaning I can't use IE , FF or MSN but going via AOL browser is fine. The weird thing is I can't shut IE down using the task bar , it won't respond.
I don't thihnk dust is the problem but i've noticed it tend to crash afterthe computer has been in uses for about 10 or so hours

JellyWoman 06:20 21 Dec 2009

The scan didn't find anything so it's not a virus making my browsers crash?

michaelw 08:54 21 Dec 2009

I don't know how to repair Vista so it may be worth posting in the Vista forum.

wee eddie 13:38 21 Dec 2009

This could be causing the Problem.

Reduce yourself to one AV.

Load CCleaner and use it to clear the Cookies.

Load Malwearbytes, there are others which will do a similar job, and use it to double check CCleaner.

Clear all "Restoration Points" and run CCleaner again, this time including the Registry Cleaner. You could use it to thin down the number of Programs trying to Open at Start-up, at this point.

Reboot.

Defrag your Hard Drive.

Reboot.

JellyWoman 16:31 21 Dec 2009

What is CCleaner? Reboot? and Defrag your Hard Drive? I am sorry for being stupid but I really don't have a clue.
I forgot to say that another strange thing happend-divx told me it's not installed but I last watched something a week ago so how could it uninstall itself after years ?
I've ran avast and PC tools for two years so which one should I remove?

JellyWoman 16:37 21 Dec 2009

I can't find the edit function but I forgot to say that I also have something called Adaware?

snv123 00:15 22 Dec 2009

First change your firewall system and anti virus system.Load CCleaner and use it to clear the Cookies.
Thanks.

wee eddie 03:02 22 Dec 2009

CCleaner is a free program that can be used to clear the Cookies and the Temporary Internet files from your PC. It come very highly recommended and I have used it for years without a problem. Download the free version from here click here Just remember that when you have cleared your Cookies, that's the sort of thing that Cookies remember, you will have to re-enter all your Passwords.

Reboot = Turn off and re-Start.

"Defrag your hard drive": Windows is not very tidy when it stores files ~ in fact it splits them up and puts little bits all over the place. Defrag is the short for "De-Fragment". Windows has a perfectly good, although slow, program to do this. Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter > Double Click it > Click Defragment.

If you have never done this before, it can take several hours. I do my Hard Drive once a month and it takes about 30 minutes or so.

First time I did it, I forgot to turn off my Screen Saver and it took all night.

Among other things, clearing the Cookies and the Temporary Files and then Defragmenting the Hard Drive will speed up your PC no end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?