Help needed on buying new desktop

PurpleGecko 17:08 28 Nov 2008

Hi all,

After a good few years tinkering about with macs I'm in the market for a new pc. This isn't going to replace my macbook for work, its basically just going to be used for playing games, specifically WoW.

I know that means I don't need a high-end gaming computer (i assume WoW's demands are pretty minimal) but I want it to run smooth-as-silk at all times, and I'm happy to have a bit of overkill in performance to achieve that. My budget, including monitor is about £600-700, so i've been looking at computers with these sorts of specs:

processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHZ
memory: 4GB
GPU: NVIDIA 9800GT - 512MB

I've little idea about motherboards - do I just get any one that will work, or will that compromise performance?

Also, in regard to processors, will a Core 2 Duo E8500 be as good as a Core 2 Quad Q6600 - they're the same price, which is better?

I assume that setup will easily give me the smooth running I want on WoW, so am I overspending, could I achieve similar results with 2GB of RAM or a cheaper graphics card, the NVIDIA 9600GT perhaps?

One final thing, what OS do I want? (working on the proviso that all Windows is crappy when you're used to OSX) I just want something as smooth as possible, do I want XP still, or the 32 or 64 version of Vista?

any help you can give would be greatly appreciated, thanks all

Ex plorer 01:33 29 Nov 2008

Hi this any help click here

ronalddonald 21:08 29 Nov 2008

face it purpleply you cant bear to lose your mac ive met plenty of previus mac users they thing of the cost they spent on the computer and yet cant bear to lose the mac.

I dont know why you mac people are behave like this but i do know that if you click here
(thats Novatech Computers) do laptops and computers without operating systems and may just maybe you can use your beloved mac.

Personally i find mac people pretty annoying and tight fisted when it comes to buying a new computer so there. Your the 6th one ive come across, I don't know why you can handle xp home, since all you have to resolve problems is to a reinstall but have your way. Maybe you should start the mac computer club.

iscanut 21:23 29 Nov 2008

"I dont know why you mac people are behave like this" ...
Have I missed something? I thought PurpleGecko was seeking help and advice, and not seeking to start a silly dialog as to Mac versus Windows as intimated by ronalddonald.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017