Help needed for a beginner with a new Laptop

Gillwh 13:58 15 Apr 2005

I'm really new to having my own computer and don't know a lot of technical stuff at all. Have just bought an Amilo Pro 2010 and am trying to make sure I cover the security angles before I set it up for the internet. It has it's own firewall and the sales patter says it has F-secure anti virus but I'm not so sure, how do I go about checking? Also it says it needs a DVD decoder to play a DVD, how do I get this? Any advise gratefully received, the simpler the better?

Ta
Gill

Technotiger 14:03 15 Apr 2005

click here for good free anti-virus

click here for free Ad-Aware

click here for free Firewall

click here for dvd decoder download.

Download all the above and you won't go far wrong.

Cheers.

Technotiger 14:05 15 Apr 2005

ps - only run one Firewall - just noticed you already have firewall.

Cheers.

Yoda Knight 14:07 15 Apr 2005

You usualy get DVD playing software with the DVD player - once you go online go to www. google.co .uk (without the spaces) and type in "free dvd player" to find a player.

Hover your mouse over the icons nect to the time, if any of them say anything about f-prot or anti-virus or firewall, double click it to see the settings.

You need at least a firewall and an anti-virus. If you dont have them you can get free versions from (again without the spaces) click here .com (anti-virus) and www .zonealarm.com (firewall). You should also get an anti-malware program, go to the microsoft (.com) page and type spyware into the search box for a link to their product

Yoda Knight 14:09 15 Apr 2005

to slow again...

happy dragon 14:11 15 Apr 2005

click here to clean pc of internet traces/cookies isp addresses etc

SEASHANTY 14:28 15 Apr 2005

F-Secure antivirus was reviewed with several others in Computeractive Magazine some time ago. If I recall correctly it got a fairly high pass mark
click here

Gillwh 16:26 15 Apr 2005

Thanks for the replies, will have a mess about later.
Gill

Mr Mistoffelees 16:58 15 Apr 2005

Here is the F-Secure review click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?