Help needed with 1st time attempt at partitioning

computerdiv 14:59 19 Dec 2008

Hi all, I have just reformatted my system and wish to attempt partitioning my hd so that I can seperate win xp from the rest of the junk that I seem to amass with each installation eg. Games,Burning Tools,Antivirus software.
I think that this will speed up the boot time and overall speed that my pc will run at.

I have a 500gb hd
I was thinking of leaving 20gb for windows xp: C drive
all other applications : G drive

I have no idea how partitioning works!

Once I have partitioned windows off and insallation is complete with mobo and all basic system application drivers installed, what happens next?

If I just continue to load games and antivirus software to the G drive partition, I think the C drive will fill up. I think all loaded info goes to the program files folder under C drive. Is this right?

If this is the case, how do I stop this happening?

Can I redirect all loaded software to the G drive?

I'm sure to have loads more questions on this.
thanks for any and all help that comes my way

DippyGirl 15:12 19 Dec 2008

You may want to leave programs installing to C: and just keep your data (docs/pics/music/video etc) on the other partition(s)
That way you can backup and restore the entire s/w environment program folders/registry independently of the data they process
May also want to create another partition for the swap/page file

If you arent looking to get an external drive have another partition you can backup the C: partition to using an imaging program.
Of course if you lose the HDD you are sunk, but if you mess up the C: partition could restore the s/w environment from the BU partition

20Gb should be plenty for XP if its just for software

computerdiv 15:45 19 Dec 2008

Hi dippygirl. I load on lots of games that take up a lot of gbytes. If I install them on drive G: then will this fill up drive C: also, as windows directs them to program files?

DippyGirl 16:23 19 Dec 2008

Never installed a game in my life but I guess its just like any other program
The install dialog normally gives you the option of where you want to put the programs suggesting C:\Program Files
I supose you could redirect to your other partition - I would probably forget and end up with them all over the place
I was only suggesting you keep all the software together for backup/recovery
If its a performance thing as you are after only having logical partitions and not a seperate HDD it may not make any difference

DieSse 00:23 20 Dec 2008

"I think that this will speed up the boot time and overall speed that my pc will run at."

DippyGirl is right - just putting them onto a different partition in and of itself, won't make any difference - it might even slow things down by a minute amount if it makes hard drive accesses take longer.

All the stuff that slows your PC down will get onto drive C anyway.

There are some minor advantages to partitioning, such as faster backups under some circumstances - but all programs don't even give you the option to install anywhere else except C.

You might want to try putting data on a separate partition - especially if you have a lot of media files.

stlucia 11:57 20 Dec 2008

I've got a 500Gb drive, partitioned into 40Gb for Win XP and all programs, and three other partitions for other specific types of data. I don't know about games, but with all the programs I've got I have the option to define where they store their data, so it's only the actual program files that go on the C:\ drive.

I've done it mainly so that it makes finding things easier -- I know for instance that all my video is on my "VIDEO (I:)" drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)