help my pc has died

krsna 20:12 26 May 2004

When I switch my pc on the POST appears to start but I get no picture on the monitor and the pc just does a 3 sec bleep then quite for 2sec and then bleeps agains for 3sec and this continues. I have tried starting up the pc with F8 pressed, no difference. If you press the DVD drive eject the draw opens. I took the cover off & the CPU fan is spining as normal.
I did have this bleeping noise once before when my hardrive went faulty, I can feel the hardrive spinning away, so I tried unplugging it & but it made no difference.
Any idea what to do.
I thought it might because I had accidently left my pc on overnight and all day, so I switched it off and since then it wont fire up.

PSF 20:18 26 May 2004

If you have an AGP graphics card remove it and refit it. 3 beeps is normally no AGP card detected. Don't forget to earth yourself fist as static and damage the card.

johnnyrocker 20:18 26 May 2004

check and reeat graphics card?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 20:19 26 May 2004

damn must type quicker;))

johnny.

PSF 20:22 26 May 2004

LOL, that normally happens to me. ;-)

krsna 21:17 26 May 2004

I have tried re-seating the graphics card, but it has made no difference. Also the intermittent, is not just for 3 bleeps but carries on as long as the pc is switchedon.
Could it be the PSU?

PSF 21:44 26 May 2004

click here

click here It could be your memory, try re-seating it, have a look at the links for your bios.

Fruit Bat 22:11 26 May 2004

beep codes explained here click here

woodchip 22:20 26 May 2004

If you have more than one stick memory remove one at a time and try comp the memory needs to be in slot 0 or slot 1 depending how the have marked the MOBO

krsna 10:56 28 May 2004

I have re-seated the RAM & this has cleared the fault. I would like to say thanks to everyone who
helped me. Without your help I was really stuck.
Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?