HELP my HP desktop is dead

mad1234 14:08 27 Feb 2006

I have a hp tower & the power supply is burnt out. I have another power supply but the hp supply has an extra cable with 2 wires to a point next to the main power cable to the motherboard. Can anyone tell me what this is for & will i need to get a new power supply from hp?

Gongoozler 14:28 27 Feb 2006

Can you tell us what model number the computer is, and approximately how old it is.

mad1234 14:45 27 Feb 2006

WILL HAVE TO GET BACK TO YOU ON THAT ONE AS I DON'T HAVE THE TOWER WITH ME

mad1234 14:48 28 Feb 2006

ok. the computer is aparently about 4 years old. The model of this pc is pavillion 7880.
I have just bought it from a friend who said it was working but they tried to take the lan conn board out then changed their mind.
Someone suggested that there might be a cut off switch or something inside to stop tampering which cuts out the power supply.
Any thoughts or ideas will be much appreciated.

mad1234 15:17 28 Feb 2006

????

mad1234 15:28 28 Feb 2006

is there anyone out there??????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:37 28 Feb 2006

have you tried plugging in your other power supply?

Seen 4 wire connectors to power CPU but not two wire.

Gongoozler 17:39 28 Feb 2006

Hi mad1234, sorry I couldn't come back to you earlier.

I was afraid that you would say that the computer was HP or something like that. Many of the big manufacturers use versions of motherboards that are specific to them, and give very little information that is of use.

Can you tell us about the extra cable. Are the wires as thick as those on the other connector? Recent motherboards often had an additional 4-way connector to supply extra 12V for the newer faster processors, but the Paviliion only uses a VIA KT133 chipset and 1.1G processor, so the additional cable is unlikely to be for that. I suspect that it's only for fan speed monitoring.

Are there any markings on the motherboard that might help us identify it?

woodchip 17:49 28 Feb 2006

I would try the new PSU without the two wires It should not do any harm if the PSU main plug is the same on both PSU's

Gongoozler 19:48 28 Feb 2006

I just realised what I said in my last posting. Your thread title is 'HELP my HP desktop is dead', so why didn't I know that it was an HP computer!!

Anyway, if the wires on the extra connector are thinner than the others, then they are probably for a PSU temperature or fan speed monitor, in which case as long as the absence of this feature doesn't cause the computer to go into a protection mode you should be able to operate without them. Unfortunately the HP website is completely unhelpful on this.

mad1234 07:24 01 Mar 2006

i can't count(sorry) but this extra cable has 3 wires not 2 the cable used to power the cpu is not used(i have seen this on newer pcs but not on older ones). The 3 wires are in line like the fan plugs & i have plugged in another power supply but i left this 3 wire cable plugged in & the pc booted up no problem but i was duboius about whether i could use it like that or if i could do any damage not having any power to this cable.
As for the thickness of the wires i will have to get back to you on this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?