Help on Motherboard recommendation

soy 15:16 06 May 2003

Hi,

Been thinking about building a PC from scratch just for the sake of learning. (I need to get the cash first).

What motherboard would you guys recommend for an Athlon XP 2100+ CPU. Expandability won't be an issue. Although I would like minimum of 2 Memory slots and minimum of 3 PCI.

I know nothing about motherboards except that I need a socket A for Athlons.

I might be able to build this system in the summer Holidays using scraps from my old PC and boot fairs. Motherboard and CPU is too important to Skimp on I thinks.

Anyway, I would be willing to spend around £50.

PS. Can anyone give me some links to cheap PC component suppliers/websites.

I know of Ebuyer, Scan and savastore. Anything else?

Thanks.

John T

Red Flag 15:22 06 May 2003

click here is good for pricing components.

MartinT-B 16:13 06 May 2003

There are 100's but the cheapest are 'trade only'.

Don't be afraid to use continental and Amercian suppliers. The USA doesn't have a postal service as we do in the UK. Their postal services are local only. As a result they use UPS, DHL and others all the time and their shipping costs are much lower than ours. Depending on weight, it can be more economic to have parts shipped.

soy 16:19 06 May 2003

Buying things overseas, won't that inccur Import duty and VAT once it reaches over here?

Dicmay 21:37 06 May 2003

Yup.

If it costs more than £18 (inc delivery) you get hit for VAT plus some other fees.

I read somewhere all the fees add on about 37% to the total. :-/

Totally-braindead 22:05 06 May 2003

Yeah I bought a digital camera from the US and the customs stung me for £60, buy in the UK. I like Easyetrader.com. I will never deal with ebuyer again due to too many faulty items though some people have had no problems with them. Also have a look at dabs and pcindex.co.uk. The last ones a cracker, have a look.

MartinT-B 22:08 06 May 2003

I've been a lucky boy then :) I have about 30 DVD's and a fair few other bits and only got VAT on one item that was actually a gift!

soy 22:14 06 May 2003

Can anyone recommend a good reliable motherboard, maybe one that some of you have used and/or heard good reviews etc about?

Or should I just get one that supports my type of CPU, PCI and Memory Slots I want. Have been looking around some websites (Ebuyer) and have looked at the various Images of motherboards. This is how I would go about buying one. I.e visually seeing if it has enought slots etc.

Are there any other key factors I should take into account of when buying one?

Beas-Knees 22:15 06 May 2003

Have a look here, click here I can recommend the Asus A7S333 £50.53 inclusive,Click on the link for more info.Memory up to 3 gig.AGP slot,5 x PCI.Great board for the money.

soy 00:16 07 May 2003

Anymore recommendations?

billyliv 00:51 07 May 2003

Hi, Quality, Reliability, Documentation, Support,INTEL. Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?