Help - in a mess with installing/removing software

trisha01 23:54 11 Dec 2006

Hope you can offer some advice. Got a 2 month old brand new pc. I downloaded various pieces of software because it came with next to nothing on it. I decided to remove some of it and somewhere along the line I disabled the dvd/cd drive so I did a system restore. That drive is now working. However the security suite that comes with ny provider wouldn't work so I had to uninstall that and have now loaded AVG. But.... the printer wouldn't work so I uninstalled that software and can't install it again - during the installation I get a message saying that it can't find this file: c:\windows:\system32\spool\drivers\w32x861\lxbstime.dll.

Also I'd downlaoded a defragmenter called IObit smartdefrag from a reputable download site and I can't get rid of it. It runs on boot up and reprots all these errors, opens messenger to send a report. I just want rid of it as well

Hope someone can offer some advice thanks

woodchip 23:59 11 Dec 2006

Looks like a Lexmark Printer. That you need the Driver for. If you post the Model, we may be able to point you in the right direction

skidzy 00:00 12 Dec 2006

Sounds like problem after problem Trisha.

Personally i would suggest you save all data and use your recovery disc or the partitioned recovery if you have one.

Then come back for advice on programs to keep your system clean.
There will be numerous offers of help regarding different programs to suit your needs.

Some to start with:click here
these are the basics you need

trisha01 07:02 12 Dec 2006

Thanks very much for the swift replies!

The printer is new and is a Lexmark 1200 series. I have the disk.

For some reason everything seems to have booted up ok this morning (apart from the printer that is!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?