Help-memory.dmp file, how to empty.

Dagwoood 22:57 12 Mar 2004

My system experienced a problem on boot up and emptied memory into the MEMORY.DMP file.

From what I can gather, the problem encountered on boot up wasn't major(famous last words!!) but I now have a MEMORY.DMP file that's nearly 500mb in size.

Could any one please advise me how to empty this file as my h/d is only 10gb and, as you can imagine, I don't really want a file of this size sitting their taking up all that disc space.

I'm running on xp pro.

Thanks in advance for any help.

dagwoood.

Dagwoood 01:28 13 Mar 2004

Further to my original question, would it be safe to just delete this file.

dagwoood.

hugh-265156 01:28 13 Mar 2004

yes you can safely just delete this .dmp file as its only used if you send the info to microsoft for error reporting.

click start/run and type *.dmp to search for all dump files and delete them.

check in control panel performance and maintenance/system/error reporting and tick "disable error reporting" and tick "but notify me when critical errors occour"

then click the start up and recovery/settings tab /write debigging information and select "small memory dump 64kb" maybe.

for general cleanup of temp files etc use start/my computer/right click your hard drive/properties/general/disk cleanup or try click here which is more effective in my opinion and quite safe to use if you wish to free some disk space.

hugh-265156 01:30 13 Mar 2004

sorry above is wrong.

click start/search to search for *.dmp files.

Dagwoood 01:43 13 Mar 2004

Thank you for such a comprehensive and detailed answer to my question, it's really appreciated.

I'll delete the offending file and set my error reporting to the smaller size.

Again, thank you.

dagwoood.

hugh-265156 02:01 13 Mar 2004

hope it works for you Dagwoood but im no expert so if anybody else has a fix check it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?