help me with a wireless network please !!!!!!

jonnytub 16:25 18 Oct 2003

ok guys, for anyone reponding to this please talk in baby language english, i am fairly new to computing terms. the problem i have is that on nov 5th i have a telewest engineer coming to upgrade my dial up to broadband (got absolutely fed up with download speeds!!!!). The engineer is installing the modem on my desktop (win xp pro amd athlon 1800+) and i would like to be able to share the connection with my laptop (win xp pro 1.13ghz celeron) the laptop has no built in network kit and i dont want to spend a fortune. I would be happy with the 802.11b standard. Could anyone help with what eqiupment i need and a rough guide on setting the two up securely using 128bit wep encryption so my neighbour can't join in on the fun.

LastChip 16:36 18 Oct 2003

click here and then come back if required with specific questiions.

The site above explains most of what you want to know, better than most of us could!

fitshase 16:43 18 Oct 2003

The cheapest and simplest way would be to buy an 802.11b PCI card for your desktop and an 802.11b PCMCIA card for your laptop.

Once you have the broadband installed, simply install the cards in each computer and then run the Network Wizard (in control panel) on the Desktop machine. This will do all of the work for you.

Once that is set up, it is just a matter of making sure the WEP is enabled - which you can do by following the instructions for the card you buy (different card manufacturers = different instructions).

If you use this setup, the desktop machine will need to be switched on in order for the laptop to access the internet. If you want the laptop to access the internet without the desktop machine having to be switched on then you need a router.

If you buy a wireless (802.11b) router then you will not need to buy an 802.11b PCI card for your desktop.

Wait for the broadband to be installed. When installed, follow the installation guide for the router. It will normally mean plugging the broadband modem into the router and the router into your computer (where the modem was plugged in). Pop the installation CD in the CD drive on the desktop and follow the instructions. You will need to specify in the setup that the router will "clone" the MAC address of your computer (it's simply a tick box). Then, once that is set up, install the 802.11b PCMCIA card into the laptop and WinXP Pro should install it automatically (or use the card's installation CD). Set the WEP on the router and you're done.

There are loads of people on this forum (myself included) who have wireless networks up and running at home. If you hit any problems with the installation then just post the problem and someone will sort it.

As for the equipment, I would personally go with Netgear (click here).

Regards

Fitshase

jonnytub 16:45 18 Oct 2003

this site pretty much details everything. I'll let you know how i get on.

jonnytub 16:48 18 Oct 2003

excellent advice, really simplified it for me :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?