HELP ME!! Uninstall Ubuntu And Get Back to Windows!

maverick4127 20:59 15 Jan 2014

I just bought a laptop(Gateway NV570P10u without DVD loader) having Windows 8 pre-installed a few days ago. But Windows 8 is not good. Instead, I installed Ubuntu 12 LTS with USB stick. However, for some reasons, I wanna get back to Windows 7 or 8 now!! How can I do that?

I tried to make several USB with boot loader from Windows.iso kind of files. But the USB stick can't be booted(I tried Unetbootin, UtralISO, Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool ). Instead, when I made a USB with boot loader from Ubuntu.iso. It can be loaded!!

When I bought the laptop, it just have one partition in Windows 8. Thus when I installed Ubuntu, I could just erase all my data.

csqwared 21:13 15 Jan 2014

Dont't think you'll be able to go back. When you installed Ubuntu the Windows Master Boot Record would be overwritten by Grub 2.0, also partition/files would be over written. Without a genuine Windows disc to re-create the MBR and the original installation disc I don't think you can do it.

Unless someone knows better??

Procrastinus 11:57 16 Jan 2014

I had similar problems with booting from a USB. I got around it by downloading a FRESH copy of Win7 iso from the MS site Digital River Win 7 iso to my desktop and then using Rufus to create the USB boot device. Rufus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?