HELP ME - SYSTEM KEEPS RESTARTING ITSELF

PC_HelpMe 21:00 20 Aug 2008

Hi all,

I am in desperate need of help.

Operating system is Windows XP home edition.

While trying to do what I thought was basic checks on my parents' computer - I seem to have opened a "Pandora's Box".

Upon checking the disc boot (c) drive and selecting the option to "automatically fix file system errors" (which requires you to restart your computer for the scan to start), my parents' computer doesn't like this AT ALL. When I clicked it to restart all was well - including when a blue screen comes up saying scan has been requested - but that if you want to overwrite the scan you can press any key within 10 seconds. HOWEVER, it doesn't give you even 2 seconsd, before a further screen suddenly appears (black with white writing on - which is not on the screen for even 1 second to be able to see what it says) it then just restarts itself - HELP ME - nothing I press will overwrite this from happening. What have I done and is there ANY WAY of actually being able to reboot the computer again????

wis 21:10 20 Aug 2008

try on bios start f8 normal start up

woodchip 21:21 20 Aug 2008

Try safe Mode F5 or F8 then change settings back or do a System Restore if its XP

PC_HelpMe 21:23 20 Aug 2008

Thank you for your reply - I am at home now but will try your suggestion tomorrow as soon as I can and keep you informed.

PC_HelpMe 22:30 20 Aug 2008

I phoned my Mum - and someone between us we have managed to get the computer to start in Safe Mode. I am going round straight after work tomorrow to have another look at it. I am worried that if I simply get the computer to restart in "Normal Mode", is it just going to do the same thing again and try to run that stupid scan and keep restarting itself? Is there anything like the "Maintenance settings" I can go in and see whether it is scheduled to do this silly scan so I can stop it?

woodchip 22:44 20 Aug 2008

As I said just run System Restore to a Old date

wis 22:53 20 Aug 2008

ok your prev ,press any key to abort
dont do anything let the program run its on run
once complete,when its done,unless you programme
again its finished

woodchip 23:03 20 Aug 2008

You can stop it by right click task bar the again task bar programs click on the one you want to stop

PC_HelpMe 11:55 21 Aug 2008

Thanks to you both for your further advice. I will try it all after I finish work today. Silly question here - but where IS the System Restore on Windows XP Home?

woodchip 15:59 21 Aug 2008

Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\system Restore pick a BOLD date

ronalddonald 16:18 21 Aug 2008

If sll else fails then reinstall windows form the microsft disc.

if u can back up data but if it cant be done then the solution might be to reinstal.

insert disc and restart
as restarting press F12 key

follow on scrren instructions from there and have the product key as you will have to enter it at some stage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?