Help me set up my network b4 I lose all my hair!

Mike D 15:13 13 Jan 2008

I have a newish PC running Windows XP Pro, my daughter has a laptop with Windows Homw. I have a BT Homehub wired to my PC and my duaghter is wirelessly connected. Both of us can access the internet without problems. She can see my PC, but not our printer (which is connected to my PC), I cannot see her and if I try to view workgroup PCs I am told that I do not have the necessary permissions do this and I should contact my network adminstrator. We both use Sygate Personal Firewall and the settings are identical, so what am I to do?

Ta
Mike

ambra4 15:57 13 Jan 2008

Uninstall them.

This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus etc.

Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly

In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it

Mike D 16:40 13 Jan 2008

ambra4

Thanks for the reply. I have marked as resolved because we are now working, after a fashion; there was a new Microsoft windows Network (I don't know when this was created) and she was on one and I was on the other. I will see how things go from now... but I mat be back!

ambra4 16:59 13 Jan 2008

In the mean time try to keep your hair on as once you buy a computer it will drive you crazy before you lose the hair

Who ever said "Computers are user friendly" they are if there is no software

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?