Help me protect my pc.

JOHN232 16:38 01 Nov 2010

I'm not an expert when it comes to computing, but I do like to use the internet, e-mail etc. However I seem to have been plagued by viruses and the like for the past couple of years.

Two questions.

1. Is it possible to get decent protection without paying through the nose for it.
If so, suggestions please.

2. If not, what is the best protection to buy at a reasonable cost.

Thanks.

tullie 16:41 01 Nov 2010

You can protect your pc for free,what are you using at tne moment?

Woolwell 16:48 01 Nov 2010

If you are plagued by viruses then you need to consider which websites you visit, what you download, what you click on and what you download as no security product can offer 100% protection.

However you could try MSE click here plus malwarebytes.

What is your OS?

961 16:56 01 Nov 2010

It is possible to get protection without paying through the nose for it

But it is also necessary for you to ensure you protect the computer yourself and arrange for other users (teenagers etc) to be restricted in the sites they visit

Don't visit dodgy web sites

Don't download software from P2P and other sites that will come with all sorts of unknown add ons and viruses

Don't open e-mail attachments

Don't click on links in e-mails

Then obtain a good internet security programme comprising firewall, anti virus etc. I use Kaspersky, provided free by my bank, but it and similar products can be bought quite cheaply. Ensure its automatic updating is switched on so that the programme is fully updated at all times

Ensure the programme does a full scan of your computer once a week

Do not try to run more than one anti virus programme on a computer

Download the (free) Malwarebytes programme
click here

Update it and run a full scan. Repeat weekly

Download the (free) Secunia scanner to ensure all your software is security patched
click here
Update and run weekly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?