Help me, please!

maylay 07:05 01 Jul 2008

My computer was totally shutting down while using internet one week ago.I can't try to restart again my computer. The power is totally out although I switch on power on computer but nothing happen.But one thing is that the three leds on keyboard ( numlock, Caplock, scroll lock) link at short time and disappear.I don't know how to do my computer. Could you give me advice , i will look for your advice.

Halmer 07:13 01 Jul 2008

# If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
# Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
# Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
# Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
# Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

Gongoozler 07:17 01 Jul 2008

Hi maylay. It would really help if the title you gave the thread "accurately describes your subject".

If the computer isn't starting at all, i.e. no fans, no hard drive activity or anything like that, then I think it most likely that the power supply has failed. This is not too difficult or expensive to replace but it does require some degree of confidence in working inside the computer box.

Halmer 07:18 01 Jul 2008

as resolved.

maylay 07:19 01 Jul 2008

No,computer is not work well, and I can't turn on my computer because the power button is not on although I press it.

maylay 07:23 01 Jul 2008

Gongoozler, I agree that and i think so like that.But why the keyboard leds link if the power is failed.

Gongoozler 08:10 01 Jul 2008

A momentary flicker of the keyboard lights doesn't really tell you anything. The 5V supply could flick on and then die. If you are able to find a digital voltmeter, then take off the computer side panel and measure the volts on a spare ide drive power connector. You should have 5V and 12V on them. This will give a good idea if the power supply is working. click here

ronalddonald 08:29 01 Jul 2008

Try making sure all leads are secure inot computer.

If still happens then try a new power lead. Is computer under warrenty, if so take it back to shop to have repaired.

Technotiger 08:56 01 Jul 2008

I would suggest that almost definitely the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is dead. Get someone to fit a new Power Supply for you - I am guessing that you are not competent enough to be able to do this yourself.

maylay 07:33 04 Jul 2008

Hi, all .Thanks a lot for your advices. I will appreciate for your reply. Now, my friend's computer is working well after changing the new power supply .Thank you all.

Technotiger 07:45 04 Jul 2008

Grrreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?