help me help my mother !

Ben capewell 21:05 27 Nov 2006

My mother every time i see her always confronts me with problems of tasks she has tried to done, can i use remote assistance to help her if so how. ?

anskyber 21:06 27 Nov 2006
  sean-278262 21:07 27 Nov 2006

It is best not to use remote assistance as it can allow alsorts of nasties to your computer and hers. If she has a problem chances are she just simply needs to google for it or alternatively get skype, google talk or one of the many other free VOIP phone services and a cheap £1 microphone set and walk her through things.

PSF 21:45 27 Nov 2006

It might be an idea to show her to to use system restore before she makes any changes.

That way she can always roll back to before the changes if she makes a mistake.

rodriguez 21:59 27 Nov 2006

VNC is a good alternative to Remote Assistence. Can be tricky to set up because of the firewall but here's how:

1. Download the free edition of RealVNC - click here (don't bother filling that form in, just press Proceed to Download)

2. Install on both machines and set passwords

3. Set up portforwarding if either of you have routers (modems should be fine, just allow VNC in your firewall) - click here and select your router and then select RealVNC for portforwarding instructions. Then do the same for your mother's router and set hers up.

4. You'll need her IP address when you're going to connect to hers - tell her to go to whatismyip.com (click here) and tell her to give you that number.

5. Start VNC Viewer and type her IP address in the box and press OK. After a few seconds it should ask you for the password (which you set earlier) so put that in, press OK and her screen should come up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?