help me!!

evo six 17:51 17 Oct 2003

Hello

I am soon to be a first time laptop buyer....but am totally stuck on what to get. Been searching around for about 3 weeks an all i've managed to achieve is headaches!

I am in uni and have a budget of about 1000ish pounds.

I had considered sony laptops, but their graphics cards left alot to be desired for gaming.

Currently I am looking at a Mesh laptop.

its for 1200...over my budget but im at a point were i am willing to strech that because i just want one asap and to concentrate on studying instead of searching!

The mesh one is spec'd as follows:

P4 2.8Ghz
512mb ram
40gig harddrive
64MB DDR ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility Graphics
15.1" TFT SXGA+ Active Colour Screen (1400x1050)
24x CD Re-Writer & 8x DVD-ROM Drive (Combo)
Built-in 1.44MB, 3.25" Floppy Disk Drive
Built-in 3D Stereo Sound, Speakers & Microphone
Built-in Video Camera
Internet Ready 56Kbps internal Fax Modem
Network Ready Internal 10/100 Ethernet Adaptor
FREE 3 Year Return-to-Base Warranty
Dimensions: 329mm(W)x275mm(D)x36.5mm(H)
Weight: 3.2Kg (Base specification)
FREE Carry Case + Additional Features

Does this seem to be a good buy.

Or any recomendations on similarly priced/spec'd laptops?

bluk is not an issue, but noise is..so it has to be quite.
grpahics for games doesn't have to be the best but i want to be able to play gp4 vice city.

thanks for your help, if your still awake and reading this i really appreciate your time.

Thanks again
:)

Big Elf 18:04 17 Oct 2003

The only comment I can make is that with a desktop CPU it's unlikely to be quiet and the fan will probably be on all the time.

keith-236785 11:21 18 Oct 2003

click here have a look at this slightly lower spec (great saving moneywise) laptop.

only downside i can see is the 14" screen

i know it adds to your headache but the money you would save would buy some asprins.

good luck on what you decide.

SheffieldSpy 11:47 18 Oct 2003

Try the Rock QuaddraXS, it is very good. I have the 2.6-30 model. It seems to play games quite well. At least I'm impressed when I play Colin Macrae 2.0. If you have any games that require DirectX higher than 8.1, you will have problems.

My Quaddra has a desktop CPU and has 5 minutes of silence, followed by 5 minutes of gentle whirling. Much quieter than my Desktop alternative.

If you have your UCAS number still, quote it to Rock and get a 2-3% discount. The discount wasn't an option, when I looked to buy online, so you may need to phone them.

pj123 12:31 18 Oct 2003

Have you thought about a second user laptop? There are some good bargains to be had out there. Try click here or click here or click here and click on second user.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?