Help with low Resources please

Ghloria 17:17 23 Jan 2003
  Ghloria 17:17 23 Jan 2003

This is in another thread of mine but the Question has changed
I have a problem that appears to be du to low resources.
I have a system with 48kmeg ram. I have approx 14 progs running in the background:-
Pcadviser, Msmsgs, Imgicon, Dpps2, Systray, Navapw32, Flatbed, Inbox Outlook Express, Explorer, Cookiem, Cmmon32, Rnapp, Em_exec
I have been told this is too many, which can I stop.
Should I have utilities that free memory, esp ram, if yes what are the recomedations.
I have been advised that BT 1571 may be causing some problems.

Glow

BRYNIT 17:22 23 Jan 2003

click here

this will give you a list of programs that can or can not be removed from start up

obbit 17:24 23 Jan 2003

Hi Ghloria...........you could click here this will tell you what should be running and what you can do without. you might like to think about some more memory 512meg is the minimum nowadays.

hope this helps

obbit

BrianW 17:24 23 Jan 2003

Type "resources" in the Search area at the head of the page and you will find the answer you want. Basically you need to prevent most of the background programmes from starting up. I think "Explorer" and "Systray" maybe the only two you really need but check in the replies to the earlier threads. To stop them opening go "Start/run/msconfig/startup" and untick the programmes you don't want to open. You click the "Apply" box when you have finished and then restart the machine for the changes to take effect.

BurrWalnut 17:34 23 Jan 2003

After looking at the StartUp Tab in msconfig, also have a look in your startup folder at Start, Programs, StartUp

Ghloria 18:39 23 Jan 2003

I know that people say u only need explorer and systray (and these acording to the link are users choice) but what about virus, cookie, adware scans etc.

BTW this a bit above my newby head so keep it simple please.

Glow

Djohn 19:12 23 Jan 2003

Keep your anti-virus loaded, although strictly speaking you only need it when you go on the www, or loading CD's and floppy's from an unknown source.

All the programs that you untick from startup are still there on your PC and you only need to go, Start/programs and open from there, or place a shortcut on your desktop.

In my start-up, I have Bare minimum running, explorer, sys tray and AVG antivirus, all others are from shortcuts.

Ghloria 19:49 23 Jan 2003

But what about the part of the question re a resource freeing utility.

Glow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?