Help Loading Vista

Yorkie156 21:21 11 May 2007

Can anybody shed any light on the following, I have just had a top spec PC built and am trying to load Vista Home Premium onto it and its having none of it. The motherboard is an ASUS P5B with dual core P4, the HDD are 2 x 250gb SATA. When I come to load my VISTA it goes so far infact up to the stage were i select custom install as no OS on the machine at the moment when the following message appears:"This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu" I have looked in the BIOS but am unable to find anything relating to this. As things stand I am booting from the DVD drive with the disk in as no OS is on the system. I clicked next at this stage in the hope that things would load anyway but another message appeared "windows is unable to find a system volume that meets the criterea of this installation". It detects both HDD so am now baffled. Can anybody help before I have a breakdown. Thanks in advance

Forum Editor 21:27 11 May 2007

the drives are formatted, partitioned, and are being recognised in the BIOS?

If that's the case, Vista would automatically select the C drive as the installation location. If you have partitioned the drive you'll be prompted to decide which partition should receive the installation.

The important thing is to ensure that the drive is recognised in the BIOS - otherwise the Vista installer isn't going to find anywhere to install to.

Yorkie156 22:16 11 May 2007

I have not formatted them yet as I thought that Vista did this automatically. How can I format them before I install VISTA. What is happening at the moment they come up as drive 0 and drive 1. Sorry to sound useless here but not an expert in this department. thanks

Ashrich 23:43 11 May 2007

You need to go into the bios and look for the SATA section , it will probably be under " Raid " you need to enable the SATA controller but not necessarily the Raid controller unless you want to mirror or stripe them .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?