help with laptop turning on

jay_123 13:46 10 May 2012

hi i really need some help on my laptop i have a acer 4820t. basically last week i was using it plugged in, and it just turned off. wouldnt start. wouldnt turn on without battery or with battery. tested the charger, it works. so was told i need a new motherboard. so i bought one of ebay, changed them over. laptop now starts up now, but theres no screen. the fan just gets really quick, then it turns off about a minute or less later. have i missed a connection or something??? read somewhere it could be a new screen cable is needed, but if that was the case, why would it cause it to turn off and make the fan go fast

thanks

T0SH 14:10 10 May 2012

Plug in an external monitor to verify the laptop as rebuilt is booting to an os before you throw any more money at it

The lack of display could be down to a number of screen component failures or even something as simple as it being toggled to display on an external monitor

Cheers HC

jay_123 14:13 10 May 2012

tried plugging it in to a screen. doesnt work either, just as i said turns off shortly after

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 10 May 2012

laptop now starts up now, but theres no screen. the fan just gets really quick, then it turns off about a minute or less later

shutting down quickly - Sounds like an overheating issue -

did you clean off all the old thermal paste and renew when putting the cpu onto the new board?

check all the grills / heatsink were free of fluff and dust?

check the fan blades were clean? (fan connection correct? - usually won't connect wrong way but it happens)

No screen - check memory inserted correctly - check cable connection to LCD (but that shouldn't affect external - remeber you need a key combination to switch to external monitor)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?