Help with laptop

superspark 18:56 19 Jan 2007

Can anyone please advise?
My son has a Tosh laptop and when he booted up, adwatch logged a number of events which he replied to block. Since then the icons on the desktop were incomplete ie incorrect colour.
Now we cannot open any programs including control panel programs.
I ran in safe mode through which I carried out system restore. System restore worked and the icons are now ok but it still wont open any programs.

any help appreciated...

superspark 19:42 19 Jan 2007

bump

Curio 19:49 19 Jan 2007

Worthy of a System file Check. Start, Run, sfc /scannow. You may need XP Disc. My HP Laptop doesn't. You will be prompted if required. Note there is one space between sfc and /scannow.

superspark 19:52 19 Jan 2007

still comes up with "WINDOWS CANNOT OPEN THIS FILE"

Curio 19:55 19 Jan 2007

Worthy of a System file Check. Start, Run, sfc /scannow. You may need XP Disc. My HP Laptop doesn't. You will be prompted if required. Note there is one space between sfc and /scannow.

Ho-Lin-Sok 20:00 19 Jan 2007

Can you disable Ad watch then see if your programs load.

superspark 20:07 19 Jan 2007

Ad aware is not running now but it still will not load any progs on desktop except Internet Explorer. in safe mode I can system restore but still no other prog will work.
Cant even run anything in Control Panel

Curio 14:22 20 Jan 2007

You could try this.
click here
Have a read.

woodchip 15:01 20 Jan 2007

I think you will find that adwatch as loaded a file in these programs or altered a file to stop them running. My AV on my win98se comp works like that if it see's a problem. I had to reload Netscape 7.2 only yesterday cos of the above

superspark 15:47 20 Jan 2007

well unfortunately I have been unable to resolve it though I have tried everything I know.
I have used the Recovery Disc and reinstalled everthing and all is ok.
Thanks to everyone for the replies...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?