Help - Keyboard not working when connected via USB

king_scorpio 21:28 24 Apr 2008

Hi,

I have a Gateway laptop MX6933B running Windows XP. I am trying to use a external keyboard for which I got an Belkin PS/2 to USB adapter. But Windows is failing to recognize the device.

Please help urgently. Do I need to install any drivers? The laptop was bought only last year so should have all the drivers pre-installed I believe.

Thanks

bluto1 22:02 24 Apr 2008

I don't know how many USB connections, or if you've got a PS/2 connection on your laptop, but if you haven't tried them all then I suggest you do. I'm sure you have, so this little bit will keep you up a bit longer.

Ditch999 22:06 24 Apr 2008

Do any other USB devices work in the ports? Does Windows go through the process of "Installing New Hardware" and then give you an error? Is there a number on the error?
Windows uses built in drivers for mouse and keyboard so that should not be the problem. (Unless they are corrupted of course!)

Ditch999 22:16 24 Apr 2008

If you can get into the BIOS see if there is a function called "Legacy USB Support" or similar and set it to enabled.

king_scorpio 22:27 24 Apr 2008

Thanks for the replies. I have tried all the USB ports. Currently only one is in use for my wireless mouse. Windows attempts to install the device and then gives an error like 'Unable to recognize device".

I have also checked USB legacy support is enabled in BIOS. Appreciate if someone can resolve my problem. Or do I have to buy a USB wired keyboard?

Widow's Son 23:53 24 Apr 2008

You must know someone with one or be able to borrow one from work etc. It seems most likely either your keyboard or your ps2 adapter is at fault. The good news is that a cheap usb keyboard can be had for less than £5

king_scorpio 08:33 25 Apr 2008

@Widows's Son

Where can I get one for £5? Is it incl. delivery? Many thanks

Widow's Son 17:24 26 Apr 2008

or PC World click here=

where you can pick it up yourself

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?