Help on Key Skills ICT Level 2 assignment please?

jediknight007 18:23 28 May 2003

Hi, I have an assignment which I have to hand in on Monday and I don't know what to do. It's only Level 2 (GCSE level) and is supposed to be easy since I already did it in sec. school but I have to do it again for some reason for college and it's much harder than I thought. I have done really well so far in the external exams but unless I complete this assignment, I will get crap marks. If I am able to ask for help on this site and anyone is willing to give me a few tips aboit what to do, I will type out the whole requirements (only about 100-150 words) so that you can have a look. Thanks.

AndySD 18:26 28 May 2003

I am sure someone will help.....get typing.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:28 28 May 2003

Sir! you are a cheat and a rascal...slap the info here ;-)))

G

jediknight007 18:41 28 May 2003

Ok, I will try my best to provide the exact info:

Key Skills ICT Level 2 Portfolio Assignment 2

Your task is to produce a database that an estate agent could use to store details of properties for sale. Prospective buyers will usually have a clea idea about the type of property they wish to buy. This will be determined by:

-their needs, e.g. the size of their family, proximity to public transport, shops

-what they can afford - based on income, and whether or not they are selling another property.

An agent will therefore need to store data, such as the number of bedrooms, the size of the garden, whether it is freehold or leasehold. You must give some consideration to what is required here.

If a client wishes to view 3 bedroom houses with a maximum price of £300,000, there is no point offering them 1 bedroom flats, or 6 bedroom houses priced at £480,000. The agent would simply be wasting their time, and giving the impression of imcompetence. Therefore, you will need to design some queries, which will allow the agent to display only those properties, which meet the client's needs.

Your tasks will be to:

-Create a database, with a table to story property details, and queries to display particular property types

-Write an account of what you have done. Be sure to include appropriate screen shots

Level 3 Task (optional)

Having created the database, automate it by setting up a switchboard or user defined form, from which you can open your table, or run queries by clicking appropriate buttons.

Well, I guess that was more than 150 words. Thing is that I have never used Microsoft Access before because I was never taught it at sec. school. I heard that a switchboard is similar to creating hyperlinks for a website and it takes you to different pages on the site. Is this true? I have created a table of a few made-p properties and customers. After that, I'm completely stuck. Any help would ber very much appreciated. I don't expect anyone to do the work for me but any tips about what to do would be great. Thanks!

Sir Radfordin™ 18:51 28 May 2003

The best thing to do would be to open up Access and then one of the sample databases that are normally installed.

These will then give you something to work from that will enable you to get a better idea of how access works.

A switchboard is a bit like you have described - its a front end for the database so people don't see whats going on. You create them using macros linking to reports or queries or forms.

Can you post the version of Access you will be using as the options may be fairly different.

This may help:

About startup options
You can use startup options to control how a Microsoft Access file looks and behaves when it opens. The startup options apply only to the current Access file.
The startup properties don't override the property settings for a specific toolbar, menu bar, shortcut menu, form, or report. For example, the Menu Bar and Shortcut Menu Bar options in the Startup dialog box don't override the property settings for specific forms or reports that have a custom menu bar or shortcut menu. Thus, when you open a form or report, Microsoft Access displays the custom menu bar attached to the form or report instead of the global menu bar specified in the Startup dialog box.

You can also create an AutoExec macro to carry out an action whenever an Access file opens. You can use the Startup dialog box instead of or in addition to an AutoExec macro. An AutoExec macro runs after the startup options have taken effect; therefore, you should avoid any actions in an AutoExec macro that change the effect of the startup option settings. For example, if you specify a form in the Display Form/Page box in the Startup dialog box, and you also use the OpenForm action in an AutoExec macro, Microsoft Access first displays the form specified in the Startup dialog box, then immediately displays the form specified in the OpenForm action.

In a Microsoft Access database, if user-level security has been defined for your database, you can prevent users from changing the settings in the Startup dialog box by making sure they haven't been granted Administer permission for the database.

jediknight007 18:55 28 May 2003

I use Microsoft Access 2002.

mrdsgs 19:26 28 May 2003

jediknight

when you submit your assignment via college to the examining board, you and your tutor will have to declare any help you have received and your tutor will be professionally accountable for this signed declaration.

why should you get a national qualification when you are asking others to do the work: will their help be acknowledged?

if it is due in Monday... forward planning?

mrdsgs

jediknight007 19:29 28 May 2003

I'm not asking for others to do my work. I'm just asking what parts of Access I can use to do my work and how I can use them generally because there's so many things you can do with Access but I have never really learn how to use it, even basically.

jediknight007 19:32 28 May 2003

It's basically the same as asking my classmates to show me what they have done and how they used Access to do certain stuff such as setting up switchboards.

Murf 19:34 28 May 2003

I dont think he is asking people to do it for him,merely what is the best way to go about it and under the references section he can always put down a reference to this forum!!
As for doing it at the last minute, different people work in different ways. I spent a week doing a report for uni and my flat mate sat up all night the night before it was due in and we both got 85%. Seems he works better under pressure and i work better when ive got time to spare and get a cup of tea!!

jediknight007 19:36 28 May 2003

Well, I do seem to work better under pressure. Thing is that I was told by my ICT teacher that I have until Thursday 5th June to do it and I received a letter today from the college saying that it has to be in first thing on Monday morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017