HELP! I've just cut my PC off from the net

six-h 18:47 30 Jul 2009

After setting up my home network successfully, I have now unintentionally cut my main Vista PC's connection to the Net.
Viewing the router from my XP Lappy, I see that the PC is listed as Status: Inactive!!
How can I re-activate it?
Hope someone can help!

ronalddonald 19:04 30 Jul 2009

and then switching on again after 10 secs.

six-h 19:08 30 Jul 2009

ronalddonald; will that endanger my only connection via my laptop?

gazzaho 19:55 30 Jul 2009

Re-setting the router as ronalddonald suggests shouldn't affect the connection, it just reboots the router. If that has no affect I would try right clicking the connection icon in the Notification Area next to the clock on the problem machine and select Diagnose and Repair, this may sort it out or at least give some indication of the problem.

six-h 20:15 30 Jul 2009

gazzaho: tried rebooting the router no change.
tried "ipconfig /release ..and /renew
message reads "No oeration can be performed on local area network connection 2 whilst it has it's media disconnected"
Same message for "local area connection"
Also a list saying eathernet adapters 1 & 2,
Tunnel adapters 6,7,9,10 & 13 saying against each "Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix"

God I don't understand networks!!!
Can someone shine a light??

six-h 20:48 30 Jul 2009

I'm having one hell of a bad day here!
just managed to stop IE8 responding!!
Can anyone work out from the above what I should do to get my Vista PC connected again??

six-h 21:26 30 Jul 2009

Strange, found that having installed Photoshop Elements 5 had somehow interfered with IE8 and System Restore!!
Had to re-boot toget restore to roll me back to pre- elements.
Now at least IE 8 is working and I'm just waiting here on my lappy for some kind soul to help me get my PC talking to the Net again

woodchip 22:10 30 Jul 2009

If its connected wireless as it most likely is stick a Ethernet cable in it

six-h 22:19 30 Jul 2009

woodchip; if it was the lappy I could but it's the two ton PC, and it's 30ft away from the router!
Any other way??

woodchip 22:22 30 Jul 2009

cannot you plug the router in near the desktop

woodchip 22:24 30 Jul 2009

Doe's that Desktop Start okay????? if it does go to networking Delete the connection then create a new connection. I think you will have to re-network them using the disc you created

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone